CapK

You've made some good points there. I could have expanded upon my earlier post to point out that, though the sentiments 'expressed' in MoV or the Shrew, seem abominable, the plays themselves have a great deal that is admirable in them too. Whilst I would not wish for anybody to apologise for the misogyny of the Shrew (and I have, alas, seen some critics try), I would equally not wish to ban the play either. That would be, IMO, similar to saying we should ban the Bible because of all the racism and misogyny permeating virtually every chapter/book in it.

Apart from the truly brutal scenes between Petruchio and Katharina, there is much that is wonderful about the Shrew - and I suspect it might make a great experimental play - with cross-dressing, or gender reversal amongst the characters.

Funnily enough, of course, Kate becomes one of my favourite Shakespearian characters precisely because of what she has to go through - and the fact that she has such sharpness of character, and retains some of it even at the end.

Similarly, MoV contains some great moments and speeches, and whilst I deplore some of the attitudes present in it, I don't mind seeing it performed on stage. Again, I suspect that a good director could subvert the anti-Jewish message by undercutting the dignity of the WASPs (judicious editing, costuming and acting should do it?)

So while I may rant and rail about certain antediluvian attitudes in Shakespeare, I would not wish to see any of the plays banned.

cheer

the sunshine warrior