Helen

I suspect that each of us approach this test differently. Here's one take (and not even my first, or second).

1. Why has the Sherriff imprisoned R and LJ? Since we are only to assume what's in the anecdote (rather than our sentimental appreciation of the many Robin-the-Yorkshireman stories), we need to assume that it was legitimately done. So the Sherriff is twice-damned - for bargaining for sex, and for letting out presumably dangerous criminals.

2. What is Robin's moral universe? He appears to be priggish, this is true, but if he values sexual fidelity highly - and has he or has he not communicated this to Marion? - then perhaps he would rather have languished in the dungeon than have Marion use her body to provide the Sherriff with sexual favours. So his language may have been intemperate, but his actions may have been perfectly consistent with his morality.

3. Would LJ have wanted to be set free if he knew that Marion would have to sleep with S to do achieve this? Would Robin? Was Marion deciding to sleep with the S without reference to Robin's or LJ's feelings? How moral, or true to her relationship with Robin is that? The sacrifice was not just of her body, but also of her relationship, it seems to me. If she didn't take that into account, or thought of it then dismissed it, I do not consider her actions to be perfectly moral. Of course, we know nothing of this, but it would appear, from the fact that she didn't tell R about it in the first place, that she knew it was not something he would have wanted. Ergo, she was playing god, following her desires, to give R and LJ something they did not want at that price. Hmmmm... Self sacrificing for certain, but not very thoughtful about others' feelings?

4. About LJ, seeing as he seemed to want to make the best of a bad situation, nothing but mild praise.

That's my take.

cheer

the sunshine warrior