Need I state the obvious, as revealed in the text below. I am new to this Forum(is this the right word?)and rather new to this new-fangled computer and e-mail business. It does seem to be interesting. My Questions: In perusing the posts(postings?) I have observed that there seem to be certain rules and conventions regulating an observed etiquette or certain usages. I have further noted that contributors sometimes (rather ungraciously , it seems to me)publicly chide one another for alleged breaches in the unknown code of decorum. In order that I, and others new to the genre, may seek to avoid any such "fox pass" ( I should have written "faux pas" but doubtless Geoff or our Francophone friends would have advised that such a phrase means " step-father" or is it "putatative father" -There does not seem to be a "pundemonium emoticon" and I must ask you figuratively to supply your own?), please advise:
1. Where(if at all)are any such rules collected and how may one gain access to them? Purely as a matter of idle curiosity, who makes,and who enforces, such rules, and by what authority?
2. Where is the phrase-book translating such acro-breviations as "IOW" and "YART" and many other such acro-breviations. I THINK I have figured out those two, from their context, but, all the same, I would like to see a list or phrase-book. I am old enough to know the veteran "FYI" "MYOB" and BYOB". Maybe you, collectively, will advise "shut up and MYOB!" Otherwise, your assistance will be apreciated. Scribbler