I never heard this word before it was introduced to this forum a few years back. Though our CrossPonder friends, evidently, already used it with some frequency. I love 'gobsmacked' and have inserted it into my speech wherever the opportunity presents, ever since learing of it here. As I recall the "gobsmacked" thread or threads were thorough, intriguing, and humorous as we embarked on a quest for the word's source. I don't think we ever established a true origin, although we got close (the sailor getting hit with the fish :)).

But the main reason for this post, is that ever since we introduced it here, I've seen and heard the word used in the US with an increasing frequency. And now it also appears often, journalistically. I believe the writers, etc., who pop into this forum anonymously just to persue our discussions were also taken by the word and adopted it as readily as I did. So I'm offering that our AWADtalk is having its own little impact on influencing the English language. I think that's great! And I'm utterly gobsmacked!!!