Pennyless, could you by any chance be descendant from good Ser Illifer The Pennyless?

This then could be your story.

William the Conquerer, who was crowned King of what could be called South-England in 1066 , was the son of the Duke of Normandy, Robert I, 'The Illustrious' and the not so dumb blonde Herleve also called Arlette, a tanner's daugther.
Though not legitimite, Robert secured him for his succession which came to need soon enough. Robert died on his way back from Jerusalem (crusade nr. X) and the 7 year old William became Duke of Normandy. Some attempts to replace him were made but with the backing of king Henri I of France he stayed in the saddle. He became a good fighter and a lot of that was done right then and there.

At Hastings , where a battle was fought over the claim on the South-England throne, William was for some moments thougth slain and his army was retreating.
" Take a good look at me ! ! I'm still alive by the grace of God and I will prove here and now that I will be victorious! "
On saying that he pushed back his helmet and showed his face to his troops who at the sight of the ardent, determened face took new courage, surrounded their persuers non of whom survived.

But that's not the point.

It may have been with the grace of God but the fact is that it was a young brave squire who saved him from the fatal blow.

After all the figting was done and won, William rewarded the squire by knighting him. No keep, castle or land came with the knighthood as Willam was always in want of funds to do his conquering. The the new Knight called himself : Ser Illifer The Pennyless. ( Illifer beeing the rhoticized form of illustrious and Pennyless needs no further comment.)

He was an excellent storyteller , which helped him through hazardous battle situations by distracting his enemy with the "Wait a minute" tric ( mostly fatal to his adversery by a fatal swordblow from his fellow fighters in the midst of the tale.) With his captivating stories he always had the better of the pretty girls because his stories put them off their guard. And his famous saving King William got him to sit at any great Lord's table. (incl. servant whenches and sneaky ladies ).
Bards and storytellers were wildly populair in those days.

The countless liltte Pennylesses and lads that issued from these numerous happy encounters he could not legitimate because of his chronic lack of money and his wayfarer's life.
But those were the days before all the great moralists had said their say and nobody really held it against him. His offspring inherited his talents (most of the time)and they made their life just like he did, poor but always populair and well provided for.
Some took his name , some didn't . But anyway , the world must be crowded with his far descendants and some still carry the name. Like you f.i. Many of them crossed the big ocean through the ages and some, I'm afraid crossed the Channel.
All of them no doubt will sit at a hospitable, generous table for Christmas, all over the world.

The daughters BTW from the Pennyless 's lineage have the same talents and are extremely pretty and always marry wealthy husbands.

Alimae HP, I really liked your story , but it took me long to get the pun, because I did not know the saying. The others made clear that it was A penny saved is a penny urned (earned?) It was a pun well hidden to me.

Last edited by BranShea; 12/13/06 10:14 PM.