the 1913 Webster's has "glittering of gold or silver";
MWCD has "glittering of gold or tinsel". go figure..

OED2 shows us the meaning drift in action:
A. adj. Glittering with gold or silver, and hence with metallic imitations of these; tinselled, ‘dressed in spangles’ (J.).

1613 SHAKES. Hen. VIII, I. i. 19 The French, All Clinquant all in Gold, like Heathen Gods Shone downe the English. 1623 FLETCHER & ROWLEY Maid Mill V. ii, A clinquant petticoat of some rich stuff, To catch the eye. 1635 BROME Sparagus Garden III. v, Courtiers Clinquant, and no counterfeit stuffe upon 'hem. 1658 OSBORN Adv. Son (1673) 200 A gentile Garb and decent Habit: yet..not Clinckant or Rich, since Gold lace, Rings or Jewels, hath not seldom rendred Travellers the prey of Braves and Murderers. 1676 SHADWELL Virtuoso III. i, Fine sparks..very clinquent, slight, and bright..make a very pretty show at first; but the Tinsel-Gentlemen do so tarnish in the wearing. 1839 Fraser's Mag. 115 In ‘clinquant gold’ the sovereign sun walks round.

b. fig.
1613 CHAPMAN Masque Inns Crt. Plays 1873 III. 110 Inure thy souldiers to hardnes, tis honorable, though not clinkant. 1682 SHADWELL Medal Ep. Ab, He has an easiness in Rime, and a knack at Versifying, and can make a slight thing seem pretty and clinquant.

B. n. [Fr. clinquant was short for or clinquant, and originally meant real gold in leaf or thin plates, used for decorative purposes. Thence it was extended to imitations.]

1. Imitation of gold leaf; tinsel; Dutch gold.
1691 RAY N.C. Wds., Clincquant, brass thinly wrought out into leaves. 1874 KNIGHT Dict. Mech. I. 65/2 s.v. Alloy, Clinquant, same as yellow copper, Dutch gold.

2. Literary or artistic ‘tinsel’, false glitter.
1711 ADDISON Spect. No. 5 {page}5, I..agree with Monsieur Boileau, that one Verse in Virgil is worth all the Clincant or Tinsel of Tasso [le clinquant du Tasse]. 1762-71 H. WALPOLE Vertue's Anecd. Paint. (1786) III. 27 Lely supplied the want of taste with clinquant. 1839 Fraser's Mag. XIX. 65 The worst portion of the silly bits of clinquant strung together, and called gems of beauty.