A-some of these pop ups are ads, not features/plagues of windows--they sometimes have nothing to do with bill gates or Microsoft. they are just trying to sell you something.

B-its technically illegal to buy a CD, rip it into mp3 files for your i-pod, and to make a tape copy for your car. rarely do corporations go after individuals who do this, its the wholesale abusers who are procsicuted. but its still illegal all the same. its been this way since long before bill gates came on the scene. Napster is defunct as a file swapping site, but only a few file swappers suffered any legal reprocussions.

c--Window's (and Most MS products) are licence to the hardware.
one copy per peice of hardware, (no matter how many people share the hardware)

some software is licenced to USER (one user, no matter how many piece of hard ware)

Word Perfect, for instance is licenced to USER. a user can have 3 copies, (one on home machine, one on work machine, one on laptop) but only one person is registered user is allowed per licenced copy of the software.

in either case, a family of 2 or 3 users is suppose to own 2 or 3 copies, (one copy per machine OR one copy per user)
you don't have to use MSWord, WP is totally compatable. (and cheaper)and there are other word processing programs out there that are cheaper than both MSword and WP.

blaiming bill gates(or anyone) is just a way to say "i am powerless to do anything." if you chose to be powerless, that is your responsiblitity, and not a problem for me to solve.