I watch far too much TV myself.

I think the worst thing about TV is that it is passive and often solitary. You may correctly argue that other forms of theatre are often as shallow in their content, but the medium itself can have good and bad points.

The act of going to the theatre to see live actors is not only a communal experience like going to the movies, but also a special one in that this performance will be unique in some way. The actors might recite the same lines or sing the same songs at tomorrow night's performance, but certain aspects will be unique, whether it is the nuances of the performance or the audience's response to it, or what have you. There is also a certain electricity when live performers are on stage that I cannot describe in words. And to an extent, for live theatre the audience must still rely on their imagination. Even the most realistic sets and costumes do not compare to the hyper-realism of most films. Instead of being spoon-fed, the audience must fill in the gaps, and in doing so each spectator experiences a unique version of the performance. I think live theatre in this respect is a healthy activity for the brain, whereas television is about as healthy usually as eating a whole bag of potato chips in one sitting.