The US media, contrary to popular belief, is pretty carefully, and subtly, controlled to show only an acceptable side of the story. It's great fun to watch and compare the Canadian news and the US news, and see what the US media leaves out.

My brother and I were doing an experiment in this sense. We were watching (a few years ago) coverage of the US bombing of Afghanistan - I can't remember the reason any more. The US channels were all indignant about whatever had capitulated the bombing - some perceived or real threat against the US embassy there, I think. The kept playing various statements by the president, etc., on the need to maintain American sovreignty (in a foreign country???!) The Canadian channels carried much of the same, with some added interviews with Afghanistan officials saying that some of the bombs had hit schools or civilian targets or something like that. Now of course that may not be true - but the US channels didn't even bother to show that side of the story! They had to carefully construct the story so that it would seem necessary to bomb them, with no pity at all for the bomb-ees.

So I agree with Shoshanna, it helps if you can get information from an outside source. I find the Canadian news is not really picking sides in the Israel-Palestine conflict, not in any obvious way. They're just painting the whole picture as really horrible and depressing, actually, both sides filled with some sort of hatred which they've forgotten the reason for, and lots of innocent people on both sides getting killed...