Jackie,

Are the photographs are of two varieties of Gnaphalium obtusifolium? The reason I ask is there is no mention on the photograph page of genus and species. Did you google by looking under Nicotiana sylvestris and Gnaphalium obtusifolium, or just Gnaphalium? The reason I ask is they both look like Gnaphalium to me--one early and one later in the growing season. Neither looks like Nicotiana.
The second photograph looks like Gnaphalium after it has grown a long stalk up out of the composite of leaves that form in the spring--the stalk forms and then the flower heads form in the fall. But if you have two distinct varieties here, specifically which genus and species do you have and what are the Latinate names of the varieties? Many thanks.

Edit: I just read over what I wrote and better add that I don't see that these are necessarily two different botanical varieties, but a single genus and species during different points in the growing season, and I suspect that genus is Gnaphalium. Hope this makes sense. As I wrote much earlier above, common names cause uncommon problems in botanical classification. Thank heaven for Latin.