"What," I said to myself, "is that dog doing driving that car?"

Had it been anywhere but Ireland, I would have said that you were joking! But there is no doubt that the animals of Ireland are particularly sagacious.

A friend of mine, touring by car over there, came to a grinding halt on a lonely country road not far from Sneem, Co Kerry. He raised the bonnet (hood) of the car and gazed at the motor, hopelessly.
He heard a voice say, "To be sure, I t'ink your distributor lead has fallen off." He looked round, and could see no one at all. The countryside was empty, except for a couple of horses in the field next to where he had stopped. One of these horses was leaning over the hedge, looking very interested.
So my friend asks the world in general, "Did you say the distributor lead?"
"To be sure, t'at's what it is." said the voice - it was very obviously the horse who was speaking. My friend, somewhat freaked out by this, investigated the electrics and found that, indeed, the lead from coil to distributor had worked loose. He replaced, it, tried the starter, and the engine roared into life. Feeling a little foolish, he thanked the horse, who acknowledged with a bow of his head and a casual, "'Tis no problem."
A little later, in conversation with the local Inn keeper as my friend had his lunch, he related this incident.
"Sure," said the man, "Was it a black horse?"
"Yes, it was," said my friend, amazed, "How did you know?"

"Ah, well," said the Inn-keeper, "the white horse in the self-same field, he knows nothin' at all about engines."