Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I dunno, Dubdub--I don't think it necessarily had to have been a religious writer. I'll try to do some checking and get back to you at the end of the day.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Súil le cúiteamh a mhilleas an cearrbhach.
Hope to recoup is what ruins the card player (gambler).

From The Poker Encyclopedia:

"All veteran and professional poker players know that peculiar tug of desperate greed which lures the luckless deeper into the trenches of loss. It's when this sense of futility sets in that the chemistry of luck loses its winning edge completely, and further play can only result in more dire losses and the sure extermination of one's bankroll. This point of no return is captured in the old proverb, 'Hope to recoup is what ruins the card player,' from the Mhilleas Cearrbhach novel, Hope to Recoup. Happy are the veteran players who find a novice at their table who does not know when he has reached this precipice of loss."

#99790 04/01/03 03:12 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Your post reminded me of Bob Dylan. I wonder if that is relevant? Was the novel written at around the same time?

http://www.bobdylan.com/albums/infidels.html

#99791 04/01/03 06:16 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Jackie,

The reason I think the quote might be one of a mystic or some kind of religious writer is because the quote always appears in the bar sections of the story where Cearrbhach consistently visualizes the bartenders as priests. At one point in one bar scene Cearrbhach has two minah birds each chant one part of the leit motif:

Minah #1: Chicanery girds..

Minah #2: Robes! Infidels!

Everyone sitting around the anti-hero lifts the tankards on cue and guzzles them outright everytime the second minah says, "Infidels!".

The book was published in 1928, was only moderately well-received, but was published again in 1989. I think it's interesting because of the subplot that deals with quantum physics, perhaps the first novel to take a close look at a science that cannot be easily understood by gamblers.

#99792 04/01/03 06:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Your post reminded me of Bob Dylan. I wonder if that is relevant? Was the novel written at around the same time?

No, based on your link, jmh, http://www.bobdylan.com/albums/infidels.html
Dylan's Infidels was written in 1983. Of course, the fact that many poker addicts are also prone to infidelity is well known. So your suspicion of a connection there is understandable.

#99793 04/01/03 08:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the subplot that deals with quantum physics... a science that cannot be easily understood by gamblers.

as opposed to metaphysics. you've got to know when to hold 'em, you've got to know when to fold 'em

holy $#!+, Hope to recoup is what ruins the card player is the epigram of Tim Powers' _Last Call_!

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Two AWADers sent me two contrary responses to the true authorship of Cearrbhach's quoted "Chicanery girds the robes of infidels." One declares that Hank E. Panky is the author and the other says it's a well-known observation of Póg Mo Thón. Since Póg Mo Thón coincidentally (or not) was the owner of Déanaim Neamhshuim Pty Ltd way back in 1928 when Hope to Recoup was first published, I'll put my money on Póg Mo Thón as the originator of the quote. So, Jackie, you were correct. Póg Mo Thón wasn't a mystic at all.

And if you believe any of the above balderdash, poppycock and malarkey, consider the date of these posts.

P.S. Thanks to sjm, milum, Ted, Cap, Jackie, Whit', jmh and tsuwm for adding to the fun of the day.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 354 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith