W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
nene 7na4na#8
n.
5Haw ncnc6 a grayish-brown Hawaiian goose (Branta sandvicensis) once nearly extinct

nephrite 7nef4rjt#8
n.
5Ger nephrit < Gr nephritcs, of the kidneys < nephros, kidney (see NEPHRO3): formerly worn as a supposed remedy for kidney ailments6 a hard, often translucent, usually greenish mineral of the amphibole group, that is a less precious type of jade

Nereid 7nir4c id8
n.
5L Nereis (gen. Nereidis) < Gr Ncrcis (gen. Ncrcidos) < Ncreus6 Gr. Myth. any of the sea nymphs, the fifty daughters of Nereus

neritic 7nc rit4ik, ni38
adj.
5< Gr ncritcs, a sea snail (< Nereus, prec.) + 3IC6 designating or of the ecological zone (neritic zone) of the continental shelf extending from low tide to a depth of c. 100 fathoms (c. 180 m)

ness 7nes8
n.
5ME nesse < OE n+s & ON nes, akin to OE nosu, NOSE6 a promontory; headland: now chiefly in place names [Inverness]

new[ton 7n1t4‘n, ny1t$38
n.
5after
Sir Isaac NEWTON6 the unit of force in the mks system; force which imparts to a mass of one kilogram an acceleration of one meter per second per second: abbrev. N

Ngege (Tilapia) with Groundnut Sauce. ... Ngege (Oreochromis esculentus, a kind of Tilapia) is commonly consumed throughout Africa's great lakes region. ...

nidicolous 7nj dik4! l!s8
adj.
5< L nidus, NEST + 3COLOUS6
1 remaining in the nest for some time after hatching, as some birds
2 living in the nest of another species

niello 7nc el4b8
n.,
pl. 3li 73c8 or 3los 5It < VL *nigellum < L nigellus, somewhat black, dark < niger, black6
1 any of a number of alloys of sulfur with silver, lead, copper, etc., characterized by a deep-black color and used to decorate metallic objects by means of inlay
2 the process of decorating with niello
3 something decorated in this way
vt.
3loed, 3lo[ing to decorate with niello
ni[el4list
n.
Niflheim 7niv4‘l ham#8
5ON Niflheimr6 Norse Myth. the regions of darkness and cold, or realm of the dead

niffer 7nif4!r8
vt., vi., n.
5< ?6 [Scot.] barter; trade

night-blooming cereus 73bl1#mi%8
any of various cactuses that bloom at night, esp. any of many species (genera Hylocereus, Selenicereus, etc.), often grown as house plants

nighthawk 73hCk#8
n.

>1 any of various nightjars that feed on flying insects, esp., the common nighthawk (Chordeiles minor), which is active during the day or night
>2 NIGHT OWL (sense 2)

#99221 03/22/03 03:07 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Caprimulgidae - the group to which the nightjars and nighhaowks belong. They are also called goatsuckers, which seems to be translation of the Latin. I wonder if that is based on allegation that they steal milk from goats. Sounds like an old wives tale.
I often used to see nighjars catching insects attracted to stree lights in Boston, down near Boston City Hospital. They are said to nest on flat roofs, so adapt reading to urban environment.
I wouldn't dare walk the streets of Boston at night now.
My daughter got mugged right inside Boston Universit;y School of Medicine, almost twenty years ago. How things have changed. But it would be PC incorrect to assign blame.

#99222 03/22/03 03:15 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
No luck so far in finding etymology of "caprimulgicae".
I looked at "mulct" but it is not the root.
mulct 7mulkt8
vt.
5L mulctare < mulcta, multa, a fine6
1 to punish by a fine or by depriving of something
2 to extract (money, etc.) from (someone), as by fraud or deceit
n.
a fine or similar penalty

I looked at "promulgate, but it is not the same root:
promulgate 7pr9m4!l gat#, prb mul4gat#8
vt.
3gat#ed, 3gat#ing 5< L promulgatus, pp. of promulgare, to publish< ?6
1 to publish or make known officially (a decree, church dogma, etc.)
2 a) to make known the terms of (a new or proposed law or statute) b) to put (a law) into effect by publishing its terms
3 to make widespread !to promulgate learning and culture"
prom#ul[ga4tion
n.
prom4ul[ga4tor
n.

#99223 03/22/03 03:37 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I found this in a word site, that seems reaonably authentic:
"Promulgate is derived from the Latin promulgatus, the past participle of promulgare, a conjunction of pro- (forward) and mulgare (probably akin to mulgare which meant to milk, extract). This word has been in English use since the early 1500s."

So much for "caprimulgidae" except I wonder what the basis for the "goat sucking" was. Some birds in that family do have a very big mouth. I saw an injured one, with insect catchin
bristles around its mouth, which could have accomadated a sow's teat.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,326
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 580 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith