#98814 03/15/03 01:51 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In another thread, I was reminded of a piece of craftword
many well bred girls traditionally created at an early age.
I'll leave the discussion of this to the distaff AWADtalkers.
Here is a URL with pictures of a few: scroll down halfways
http://www.thecrewelgobelin.com.au/whatsnew.html

#98815 03/15/03 11:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ok, two questions. First, re: two workshops with CA Wells. Are we to assume that C and A are the teacher's first two initials? Is it common, now, to leave out the periods?
Secondly--how did crewel get its name?

#98816 03/16/03 12:19 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
From AHD:

Middle English crule.

Not much, but I'll google a bit. Back in a stitch...

#98817 03/16/03 12:26 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here's something from an internet page on the history of crewel:

Crewelwork came to the United States from England, where it gained its popularity during the rule of King James I. This time in history was the Jacobean period and the embroidery of the time was called Jacobean. Crewel was taken from the type of yarn that was used "krua" which means wool. This wool yarn was a thin worsted yarn made of two threads. The term crewel embroidery actually means wool embroidery and today refers to the design of the period not just the wool yarn that was used in the stitching.

http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence/Street/3400/crewel.html

So, crewel simply meant--way-back-then when it had a slightly different name--wool.

Cewel.

#98818 03/16/03 12:38 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Really must go to sleep now, but the crewel sites were interesting to read. Here's one on which you can click a dragonfly and seaweed crewelwork, magnify it, see the "D" in the center for identification as Deerfield, I believe. I don't do any needlework at all--the buttons I sew on have little rats' nests of thread on the underside--but I do appreciate the effort and lovely outcomes of needlework.

http://memorialhall.mass.edu/collection/viewer.jsp

That link might not work for you. Try this one and then click on the eye to begin the process of magnifying the image:

http://memorialhall.mass.edu/collection/itempage.jsp?itemid=5124

#98819 03/16/03 02:52 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ohhh, WW, thank you for this site--and darn you, too! I have been lost for I-don't-know-how-long in the past, reading love letters! Look at this:

Deerfield April 3, 1778
To Mr. David & Mrs. Silence Hoit.

That great Being who formed man kind rational Creatures, implanted in their natures a desire for Society. It is from such a desire being implanted in my nature &, I think from honest & upright principles, that I have sought for a partner in this Life – you very well know that I have for sometime past frequently visited at your house & had opportunities for private Conversation with your Daughter Mercy & you will naturaly imagine that something more is intended by us by being so frequently in each others Commpany than only for the Sake of Company keeping. It is a mutual agreement between us, that we might know Whether you approve of our past Conduct or not, by asking your consent that we proceed –
I suppose the usual way of asking consent is for the Father to do it for the Son, But you know it is impossible in this cas, therefore I hope the way in which I have proceeded will be acceptably to you. I have dwelt so long in the neigbourhood with you that you are acquainted with my Conduct, Character, & Circumstances in life, & likewise how your Daughter & I have been intimately acquainted. It is not because I am in haste to alter my situation in life or that of your Daughter whilst our public affairs are in so unhappy a situation or untill I am better provided, But

There's a letter from 1909 asking for signatures on a petition to let women vote, and some excerpts from "The Young Ladies Book: A Manual of Elegant Recreations, Exercises, and Pursuits". Oh my goodness, you can see the actual music of a WWI song! And from a young girl's diary in 1860:
Monday June 18th A very pleasant day. Aunt Susan’s family came over this forenoon this afternoon our family & aunt Susan’s went to the Menergie. We went all round and saw the animals the elephant is said to be the largest in this country it weighs 15 000 lbs there were some very pretty birds they had parrots & a silver phesant this last had a black brest & the rest of it was white it had a long white tail. began my bed quilt Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Not a very pleasant morning but the sun came out in the afternoon, we started for Dummerston in the 1/2 past 3 o’clock train We had a very pleasant ride reached here I guessed between five & six o’clock. The sun sets very pleasant to night.
Friday June 22nd Very pleasant. Aunt Sarah, Mother, & Father Jennie & my self went over into some woods we found some strawberries & as we had no dish to put them in we put them in a piece of bark. We found ever many youngsters & partridge berries we had a very pleasant time
Saturday Pleasant. Took a walk this morning. Mother & myself went to find some strawberries we did not find many we went over in some woods & we got some hemlock cones I went with Fletcher to get some fish Jennie went us F___ caught three fish

The site lets you view either typed text OR the original!

#98820 03/16/03 03:03 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

We found ever many youngsters & partridge berries we had a very pleasant time

~from the young girl's diary...

Now they'd gone strawberry-picking and found youngsters & partridge berries. Hmmmmmm. Interesting visual image there.

#98821 03/17/03 04:29 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Jackie on being directed to a needlework site:

Ohhh, WW, thank you for this site--and darn you, too!

Bingley

Bingley
#98822 03/18/03 02:57 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Augh, I didn't even SEE that!

#98823 03/18/03 09:28 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I saw it and wondered whether you might be needling me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith