About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
And then there was the heroic 15 year old schoolmarm in Nebraska during the Blizzard of 1888, when hundreds of one-room schoolchildren and teachers were trapped and perished, who saved her entire class by tying them together as the schoolhouse blew apart and led them all to safety through the blinding storm (I have this info, but I'd have to LIU). A wonderful story which should be more widely known.

Here's a capsule look at the story. The one-room school teacher was Minnie Freeman, she was just 15 at the time, and she led all her students to safety by tying them together with a rope made from her cloak when their sod schoolhouse blew apart. To explore the story more you can Google "Minnie Freeman Nebraska 1888", all the major hits are there. I'll be back with some more good links, momentarily, to the story and the horrific intensity of the fabled storm so check back here for them. I don't know how inspiring stories like this one get lost, but. I stumbled across this story when I was researching one-room schoolhouses for my schoolmaster character/presentation.

MYRA VALLEY, NEB - A blizzard here on January 12, 1888, trapped teacher Minnie Freeman and her students in their little sod schoolhouse. When the storm blew in the school's windows and tore off the roof, Minnie decided to make a run for safety. She tied here thirteen young students to one another and led them into the howling 45-mile-an-hour wind and snow to a house about a mile away. Minnie became famous across the nation as the heroine of what became known as the "School children's Storm." Grade schoolers as far away as Boston wrote essays in her honor, and because of the newspaper stories of her exploit, she received over 80 marriage proposals. The song "Thirteen Were Saved," was inspired by Minnie' account of the ordeal.

(scroll three-quarters the way down to the paragraph which begins "The third and last great storm came January 12, 1888", and read thru the end:

http://www.ku.edu/~kansite/hvn/books/nbstory/story38.html

(scroll down to "The Blizzard of 1888" and read to the end):

http://www.rootsweb.com/~neresour/OLLibrary/pionrem/nepr0190.html

http://www.elkhornvalleymuseum.org/newsletter02-1k.htm

I finally found the link I was looking for. Here's an excellent account of the Blizzard of 1888 (it started as a mild January that day, the children wore just light jackets to school...but the storm came up so suddenly over the plains that the pressure dropped and the temperatures fell to 30-40 below zero in minutes!!) and Minnie Freeman's entrapment and rescue. Scroll down to Several years may now have passed over and we come to 1888 and the Historic Blizzard of 1888. (here's an excerpt):

While many other instances of snowbound people could be told we will not now weary the reader with them. However it seems that the story of the January blizzard is never considered complete without the story of Minnie Freeman, the Midvale heroine. We therefore reiterate it here, and add our personal views on the matter. The Ord Quiz of January 20 contains the following:

"The manner in which this modest and unaspiring school teacher saved the lives of all her pupils during the great storm of Jan. 12, 1888, has won for her wide renown. The forenoon of that day was mild and damp, with a warm breeze from the south. But just at noon, without a minute warning, a hurricane blast came from the north. In an instant the temperature fell several degrees below zero, and the flying snow made it impossible to see but a few feet away. The first blast broke in the door of Miss Freeman's school house. With the aid of her larger pupils she closed and nailed it. A moment later the door gave way again and was irreparable; and to add to the dilemma, a portion of the roof was torn away also. Something must be done at once. There was no alternative. Her sixteen pupils must be taken to the nearest house, a half-mile against the storm. At the peril of her own life, and with calm presence of mind and forethought she hastily but carefully covered the faces of her younger pupils and to prevent them from being lost-for in the terrible storm to wander away (195) a few feet was to be certainly lost--she tied them together. The older pupils she placed in the lead, and to see that none faltered, she brought up the rear. Thus was the heroic march begun and successfully accomplished."

http://www.livgenmi.com/1906loup~chapter~sixteen.htm

(and, Dub-Dub, the first two links have some local poetry about this which you might find intriguing)

[edit: I worked almost an hour on putting this post together, and when I came back to the window with the final link I got a "page has expired' message!!! [shudder, shudder] But I managed to get it back somehow with the refresh and and clicking the menu it put up. Thump goes the heart! ]

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I would say that whoever drew up these guidelines has repeatedly missed out one little word: only. They should read Don't only show women as, don't only show men as, don't only show Amerindians as etc.

Bingley

Bingley
#97982 03/10/03 01:58 AM
L
L
And if we supposedly feel demeaned by these comparisons with men and if we feel slighted by their heaviness and largeness, pray tell, why don’t we make more efforts to look more like them. Why don’t we stop shaving our legs, for one. And wear shirts and pants and ties and big brogue shoes. Flowing skirts, scarves, lipstick, trash them all…they are stereotypical. Why doesn’t the silly brigade that banned all these words now call for the ban on all forms of clothing or dress that differentiate between the sexes?
Why should I give up my flowing skirt? If a man is, heaven forbid, bigger and heavier, it's a sure sign he needs some soft touches to balance out his , um, manliness, and is in certain need of a flowing skirt.

veteran
veteran

Several years ago, my youngest daughter comes home from school and starts bawling, "Daddy, they said I was a little, chinese girl." I look at her and say, "Baby, you *are* a little, chinese girl."

"Doh! I forgot!"

This list isn't about what most people really are offended by, it's about what some group of 'intellectuals' thinks people ought to be offended by.

There cure is worse than than the illness. Have many of you perused the modern textbook? I tutored physics, algebra, and mostly geometry a number of years. The organization of geometry books is intensely irritating. There are distracting colors and different sections - including the obligatory sections showing that women and non-whites have made presumably equal contributions to the subject. All kinds of things to draw your attention away from the gist of things.

The first thing I tell the students is this, "I know this stuff looks like a great jumble of nonsense. That's largely because it is. Don't waste your time trying to make sense of every sentence you read. If you're pressed for time, go straight for these little yellow sections. They tell you exactly what you need to know. If you have time and inclination, you can wade through the other stuff at your leisure."

No kidding. I look at these textbooks and get a headache - every time.

k

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Assuming that someone is Hispanic because that person is a migrant worker, if not entirely accurate, is, in some parts of the country, a safe bet. Assuming that someone is a migrant worker because that person is Hispanic is prejudice, pure and simple, and as wrong in California as it is in Maine.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Who said anything about assuming all Hispanics are migrant workers? Your assertion is preposterous notion, Faldage, really. Where does it say that, if you speak Spanish, people think you're a migrant worker? Are you saying you believe there are people in the world who think every Spanish speaking person is a migrant worker? That's not even possible. Who could harbor such a ludicrous notion? Maybe you're just trying to stir the pot for debate here, or sumptin', but this is just a ridiculous statement, sorry. And did you ever hear of Dezi Arnaz, Gloria Estefan, Tito Fuentes, Jennifer Lopez, Selma Hayek, Fidel Castro, Gen. Santa Anna, hell, the Kings and Queens of Spain?...do you watch baseball? Any Hispanic players there? Juan Marichal, Roberto Clemente? Gimme a break.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Who said anything about assuming all Hispanics are migrant workers?

Either the over-extended Language Police or the African-American author of the article linked to above:

Hispanic-American people: images to avoid:

Hispanics as migrant workers

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Hispanic-American people: images to avoid:

Hispanics as migrant workers

Faldage, the author of the text is saying that you can't ever depict Hispanics as migrant workers.

Nobody ever said that anybody thinks all Hispanics are migrant workers...where'd you get that?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was just pointing out that there's a difference between depicting Hispanics as migrant workers and depicting migrant workers as Hispanics.

- playing ron o to my musick

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was just pointing out that... - playing ron o to my musick

It seemed fairly obvious to me!

------------------

Junk bonds (banned as elitist)

Then why not:

Politically correct (banned as elitist)

?

ps. ladymoon - please don't give up your flowing skirts

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,273 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith