Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#96483 02/20/03 08:28 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
I have often wondered about the suffix "tron," having seen it in various words here and there, such as cyclotron, betatron, electronic, thyrotron, klystron, and mellotron (which was a cool instrument used by the Beatles that played tape loops of other instruments -- a sort of primitive sampler). There was also an animated film "Tron," which solidified in my mind the corny 1950's-science-fiction connotation of the word. I finally looked it up and discoverd that tron comes from the Greek for instrument.

Main Entry: -tron
Function: noun suffix
Etymology: Greek, suffix denoting an instrument; akin to Old English -thor, suffix denoting an instrument, Latin -trum
1 : vacuum tube <magnetron>
2 : device for the manipulation of subatomic particles <cyclotron>

#96484 02/20/03 11:30 PM
D
addict
addict
D
So why electron, neutron, positron etc?

#96485 02/20/03 11:42 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
And turtle or fencer's plastron.Except it is from Italian, not Greek.

#96486 02/20/03 11:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and balatron!

#96487 02/21/03 12:11 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
and what's with ladytron!?

#96488 02/21/03 12:55 AM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
dynatron
n.
5DYNA3 + (ELEC)TRON6 a four-electrode electron tube in which the anode functions as a dynode

#96489 02/21/03 02:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That's cool, Alex. Thank you. Hey--any of you with Atomica, click it on balatron! Here's something about electrons, doc:
The word "elektron" in Greek means amber, the yellow fossilized resin of evergreen trees, a "natural plastic material" already known to the ancient Greeks. It was known that when amber was rubbed with dry cloth--producing what now one would call static electricity--it could attract light objects, such as bits of paper.

http://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/whelect.html

#96490 02/21/03 04:57 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
What a wonderful way to wake up in the middle of the night:

Morning Becomes Electron!

I remember when we were going through all that cat, chicken tikka masala, amber rod, sheep's wool delightful nonsense here, we discussed the amber rods of the ancients. I wonder whether we hit up this electron angle in those all-over-the-map discussions?

If so, I'm glad it's come up again for a refresher; if not, I'm glad to learn more about amber rods and this derivation of electron. Jackie, thanks so much for providing that link! I've earmarked it because it has some other intriguing links on it.

And, Bingley, if you glance in on this thread, yes, this again is another reason why this board is such a gem. Long-nosed fish, papyrology, amber rods, and electrons--oh, joy!

#96491 02/21/03 11:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
why electron, neutron, positron etc?

The -on ending is just the Greek nominative/neuter case/gender marker. The -tr- is part of the root. It leaked over from the Greek word elektron into its extended use in much the same way the English -gate leaked over from Watergate to indicate any kind of government scandal with no thought as to its meaning. Don't go looking for any great meaning; there's no there there.

#96492 02/21/03 12:39 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
> Don't go looking for any great meaning; there's no there there.

Gee, sounds like a lot of language; merely superimposing itself over a phenomenon, allowing us to feel comfortable. A certain sense of power and knowledge overcomes us when we know the word for something no matter how silly that word is. Our sense of pride and power is twofold if we can then recite some dodgy heresy etymology as well.

Reminds me of the little toddler in his cot/crib next to an open window who is suddenly confronted by an astounding looking self-guided thing that seems to defy gravity, hovering by the window looking in at the boy. The boy, awestruck by the dynamic fluttering sounds of the hovering creature turns to his mother and exclaims 'Wat'z dat!'. His mother turns briefly and offers 'A bird'. 'Oh!' says the boy turning away from the window.

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>Gee, sounds like a lot of language; merely superimposing itself over a phenomenon, allowing us to feel comfortable.

Also allowing us to communicate, at least so it seems to my simple mind. A world without language of some sort would, it seems to me, be a very quiet, lonely place. You're welcome to it, by.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Bellyouth:

Your anecdote brought a little tear to my eye...

B
old hand
old hand
B
Sjm, I'm just pointing out that we can't even decide what constitutes the simplest of things nevermind the atom and all those theoretical subparticles.

> be a very quiet, lonely place.

And the small mouth movements of monkey bodies are so heavenly divine? I dunno. There are certain octopi (hey Jazz) that change colour according to what they are feeling. They become their linguistic intent instead of parsing thought through a socially sanctioned dictionary. They can become what they think! I think this is where we - in the digital age -could/should be heading.
English is being spread so thin it is fast becoming a straitjacket holding humanity back. If Whorf was right, and language is fundamentally who we are then we are getting nowhere fast. For as English spreads it must homogenize thought somewhat, bending things to its will - this is kind of the concept of 'memes'. English therefore is a neurosis inducing linguistic disease that will help eradicate language as we know it, setting the imagination free again.
Reset the preset!

[running]

M
addict
addict
M
Thanks for the input on 'tron', Faldage

BelY, I find the reference to English being meme-like, intriguing. You are indeed right and it is because of this very same quality that it or any language enhances creativity and consequent multiplanar expansion (I believe your last sentence endorses this). What I fail to comprehend, is how that can possibly be a straitjacket. Are you trying to say that it is crowding out other such with its reach, and in the process also promoting programmed and standardised patterns of learned thought? The former appears to be a tragic but expected fall-out of consolidated 'empirification' of the world. The latter although partly true, however merits consideration that, language despite its defining boundaries and limits, provides the medium for imagination, reasoning and questioning. It is thus continuously, both an acquisitive and creative process that results ultimately in the constant modification of language itself. Almost like, language - meme1 - homogeneous thought - poor copying fidelity - altered meme - altered thought - altered language - meme1a ------and so on. So, in the final analysis, it assimilates change quite rapidly and should therefore promote significant heterogeneity.
Surely, the octopi also must have a colour coded dictionary sanctioned by their own memes and genes!

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
BY, your post mentioned "language" - it did not specify spoken language. That's why in my reply I spoke of a world without language "of some sort". For all the limitations of language, it seems to me to be very necessary if I am to be other than an island. Surely any form of structured communication, verbal, visual, or otherwise, is language?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...Our sense of pride and power is...

Yeah, well, speak for yourself!!!

--------------------

English therefore is a neurosis inducing linguistic disease that will help eradicate language as we know it...

At least your consistent with being the eternal optomist I've come to know you as...

... and, English is (at the same time) being a language that slows progress down and holds the tension (like a stretched rubber band) as specific politics get assigned to it *arbitrarily.

sjm - My above post goes directly toward perceptions of language and specific posturings involved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith