Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#9649 11/02/00 01:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there is a whole ocean between the two

I suppose I have to say you are right, but why you felt it necessary to point this out is beyond me. No, I did not assume that my sentence was a re-phrasing of maverick's. His, to me, hearkens back to the time of discovery and assessment: as in, making observations and deciding whether the observed things do or do not make up part of a pattern.

I was pointing out something that we do in an attempt to make sense of our surroundings after an assessment has failed to accomplish this. Though, perhaps, I could have specified that. This is not the first time that my
unstated thought processes have led to misunderstandings.
Maybe I need to think about that some more.

#9650 11/02/00 02:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>mav:..our tendency to make patterns- Jackie:..a very strong tendency to make things fit into a recognizable pattern<

one of my favorite sayings is "gifted minds find order in disorder"
(i am not the neatest person in the world, and i use this as an excuse--my house isn't messy--you're just not clever enough to find the order!)
but finding order or patterns is a human way of dealing with things... I see one arising from the other..
In the beginning, there was a void, nothingness, and god created light..

When there is chaos, the first way we deal with it, is to find some identifiable part, and then start making patterns, (and the light was called day, and the darkness night!)
so while chaos is frightening, is enleashes our creativity. (and yes, i do find the thread chaotic at times, but oh such wonderful chaos!)
If you belive in god, (or at least the judeo/christian version), god created all, and we, in god's image, try to do the same. otherwise, humans are just inherently in need of order, and do it on there own-- but i do think it is a basic human trait.

#9651 11/02/00 06:05 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
a basic human trait

Yep, I agree Helen - and most significantly for this forum,

in the beginning was the Word...

PS You should see my desk right now - gives chaos theory a whole new meaning! My quote to cover for this, BTW, is:
If a cluttered desk may represent a cluttered mind, what does an empty desk represent?

#9652 11/03/00 03:42 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
R
yes, i do find the thread chaotic at times, but oh such wonderful chaos!

Ah, no! Helen - not chaos - anarchy! and a wonderful anarchy indeed.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 504 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith