Page 1 of 2 1 2
#95248 02/11/03 01:25 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Rec'd this today and thought I'd share. I especially liked the quote at the end.

Charles Schultz's Philosophy
The following is the philosophy of Charles Schultz, the creator of,the Peanuts" comic strip.
You don't have to actually answer the questions. Just read straight through, and you'll get the point.

1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winner for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.
How did you do?
> > >
The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.

Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:
1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
6. Name half a dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you.
Easier?

The lesson:
The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with
the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards.
They are the ones that care.

Pass this on to those people who have made a difference in your life.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia."
(Charles Schultz)

#95249 02/11/03 01:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's already tomorrow in Australia."
AND (or) New Zealand!

#95250 02/11/03 04:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, always liked this, wow...thanks for refreshing my memory.

#95251 02/11/03 07:18 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M

1. Mrs Hillen (Kindergarten), Mrs Sears (Grades 3 and 4), Mrs Rogers (Grade 6), Mr Millan (Grade 8), Mr MacLachlan (high school history & sociology), Mr Chisamore (high school math, Grades 10 & 12 - disappointing for both of us but I learned about patience and perserverance and I suspect he did too!), Mr Gilbertson (high school English, Grades 11 & 13), Mr Love (high school Theatre Arts)....Prof. Johnston (academic advisor and Modern Poetry prof, Trent University), Prof. Tromley (first-year English & Jacobean Lit. in third year, Trent U), Prof. Dowling (fourth-year Australian & NZ Lit. - on "loan" - sabbatical! - to Trent U. from sjm's city U), Prof. Bews (second-year Classical Lit., Trent), Prof. Gallop (first-year philosophy)....

2. Sharan, my Mum (who is also one of my best friends), Alf (no, not the cat-eating alien!)

3. My Mum, Sharan, Alf, Dave, Ali.

4. My Mum (! there's a theme here...!), Ali, Sharan, my godmother Jean, Kevin, Dave, Alf....lots more, all around the world, but these spring instantly to mind.

5. My Mum, Ali, Sharan, Rebecca, Kevin, Dave, oops that's six and there are more....Rubrick, Rhubarb Commando, of troy, bingley, vika, etaoin, Wordwind, Whitman O'Neill and so many more right here on AWADtalk....

6. This one's harder. Define "hero." Let's see....People whose stories have inspired me would be easier: Gerald Durrell (founder of the Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust), James Herriot (pseudonym I know, but obviously a wonderful vitnery in the Yorkshire Dales), Tom Patterson (founder of the Stratford Festival in Canada), Helen Keller (I'm so in awe of how she lived her life - I don't know if I could do it with such challenges), Queen Elizabeth II (how does she do what she does? such a strong human being and such a fine role model - except for the family stuff, where she do indeed fall down a little - hey, if she's a hero, perhaps that's her fatal flaw?), John Milton (more for the beautiful, beautiful words than the home/behind-the-scenes life)...is that half-a-dozen? And for a real, honest-to-God HERO - or rather, a few of them: the people aboard that hijacked flight bound, they think, for the White House, on Sept. 11. I still get choked up thinking of how they decided they wouldn't let that flight reach the hijackers' intended destination. They knew they would die, but they were damned if the hijackers were going to choose how and take them along on a death flight to hurt and kill other people and cause further mayhem. They were heroes. The word gets used lightly these days but to me, they were heroes.

#95252 02/11/03 07:29 PM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>(fourth-year Australian & NZ Lit. - on "loan" - sabbatical! - to Trent U. from sjm's city U)

Wherever Professor Dowling came from, it wasn't my city U - my city of only 50,000 doen't have one. I do so hope that you haven't mistaken me for a Seedneesider, or, even worse, a Dorklander - yrch!

P.S. - an interesting example of the coca-colanisation of the globe: When composing this reply, I couldn't remeber the name of the professor in question, but thought it was Lott. Then I discovered why I thought that - the name of the university suggested it.

#95253 02/11/03 07:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.

I remember mentioning something about "personal rewards"... here:

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=92579

... which lends a perspective about the evaluative measures taken by certain "capacities".

#95254 02/11/03 10:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mrs. Drusche, 3rd. grade; Mrs. Kunert, 7th. grade, for being classy enough to apologize to a 7th.-grader; Mrs. Wright, all 4 years of h.s. French; Mr. Chase, Mr. Wolfram, Mr. Zolas and Dr. Wehr, college; Gale Goldberg, grad. school, who stretched my mind and taught me to look at things 'from the other end'.
Carol, Kelly, Robert, Anthony
Dick Francis; Ann Landers; my mother; my husband; Ben
my husband; my kids; Kelly; SS
my family; Nita; Carol; Jane; Ron; Gary; a bunch of people here! :-)
Yes, definitely those on that flight--"Let's roll."; Mother Teresa; Harriet Tubman; Lech Walesa; basically, anyone who, for the cause of right, has prevailed against the odds.

Thanks for personalizing, mg--good idea!

#95255 02/12/03 04:33 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Thank you too, Jackie! it's cool hearing (reading!) another's answers....

sjm, for some reason I thought you were in Auckland...? I'm pretty sure that's where Prof. Dowling came from. I could be way out to lunch, he might've been from the South Island (Christchurch in particular) - but I had a feeeeeling it was Auckland. My mitsake.

No, I did NOT mistake him for a Seedneysider. He did do a creditable Aussie accent when we started on the Oz part of the course, though - and brought tinnies (of Fossie's!) and, in a unique cross-cultural reference, doughnuts, for that first Ozlit tutorial - a peculiar mixture but I think all we students appreciated it!

I remember my shining moment of glory in that class: we were about to start our tutorial on Ian Wedde's novel Symmes Hole, and I held up my copy and said, "I just want to say this book is full of shit." Got a good laugh! (only funny to those who have read it....!)

I also remember one very snowy night when I thought the tutorial was probably cancelled. Trent's campus, in themdays, was spread out - the Nassau Campus on the edge of Peterborough, on the Otonabee River, consisting of three colleges, and the downtown campus consisting of two colleges. The lecture was at one of the downtown colleges - Catherine Parr Traill (Canajun literary great, pioneer and writer). I could see the building where the tutorial was held from the living room window of the flat I shared with one other student. As I cooked my dinner, I watched to see if anyone was arriving for the tutorial (think I might've even heard that the university had effectively shut down because of the storm). I'd just finished boiling up some spaghetti and heating some sauce when I saw Prof. Dowling arrive. Put the sauce on the spaghetti and left it on the countertop and hurried over to the tutorial. When I mentioned that I'd been watching out the window, he was quietly impressed: "Like the French Lieutenant's woman," he said. "But why don't you go and eat your dinner?! don't worry about the tutorial!"

Prof Tromley used to get quite excited during lectures, and he knew we enjoyed this and were just waiting to see what would happen next. Now I'm trying to remember the story, but he told us that in one lecture he either pushed the desk-top lectern off the table he was lecturing from, or fell off the table himself (he was long and lean and he tended to fold himself up into a pretzel and push the lectern around in front of himself as he got into his subject).

He was the one who rang me at the end of third year to thank me for my final exam in his Jacobean Lit. course. [blowing-own-horn-e] Things like that resonate for a student years later. I still get high when I think about it....

#95256 02/12/03 04:49 AM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>sjm, for some reason I thought you were in Auckland...? I'm pretty sure that's where Prof. Dowling came from. I could be way out to lunch, he might've been from the South Island (Christchurch in particular) - but I had a feeeeeling it was Auckland. My mitsake.

It's as I feared! For 76% of NZers, being mistaken for a Dorklander is almost worse than being mistaken for a Strine. If Auckland were a person, it would have the integrity of Clinton, the intellect of Dubya, the sincerity of Tony Blair, the grace and charm of Janet Reno and the charisma of John Major. Call me a Dorklander again and I will have to kill you. Sorry, but that's the rule.

#95257 02/12/03 10:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Call me a Dorklander again and I will have to kill you.

You'll have to forgive her. She's a Canadian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 706 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith