Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#93603 01/28/03 02:27 PM
R
addict
addict
R
Hi guys,

I just joined in. What are you all talking about?

#93604 01/28/03 02:45 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Even I could have missed catching balls as well as UVA did that day.
Yup! It ain't easy with six 250-pound-plus linemen bearing down on you, determined to keep you from catching that ball!

#93605 01/28/03 02:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Uh, Jackie...that's a yellow flag!

And how'd Bingley find out how to pronounce "Looville"?

And football is soccer.

And we're sure lucky mav ain't around to flag us for a sports thread!

#93606 01/28/03 04:19 PM
V
V
I believe I can rightfully claim to know less about football than all but two of our members. (wwh)

these two being me and rav?

true. one part of the Great Civilisation of US that I don't know anything about is American Football.

edit: I've missed Jackie's post. tomorrow after I've read it I'll be much more educated on the matter of football. thank you, Jackie

#93607 01/28/03 04:35 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
A touchback occurs in two main situations. If one team is kicking off or punting to the other team, and the ball either goes beyond the end zone or if the receiver catches the ball and kneels with the ball in the endzone, that is a touchback and the receiving team in either case will start the next set of downs from their own 20 yard line. No points are given to either team.

In the second case, if the defense intercepts a thrown pass in the end zone (and I guess if they recover a fumble too), and they do not run it out of the end zone then that is also a touchback, and the team that intercepted the ball will start the next set of downs on their own 20 yard line.

A safety on the other hand is when the offense is tackled in their own end zone. I think if they fumble the ball out of the end zone that too is a safety. The other team is awarded two points, and the team that was tackled in its own end zone must then kick or punt the ball from deep in their own territory (I think the 20 yard line). A safety is thus a hard blow to a team because they not only give up points but they also give up the ball to the other team who usually ends up with excellent field position after the kick. (A normal kick off after a touchdown or a field goal is performed from the 35 yard line in comparison.)

We need a good link for American football terms like the one we had for cricket terms.

#93608 01/28/03 04:39 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A

#93609 01/28/03 04:58 PM
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Gee! That’s quite an impressive lexicon. I liked the definition that says:

FIRST AND TEN: See down. Sounds like a crossword puzzle. But when you look at ‘down’, you realise how complex this is:

DOWN: An offensive play, starting with a center snap and ending when the ball is dead. The offense gets four downs to gain ten yards. If they gain that before using all four downs, they get a first down and another four downs to gain another ten yards. Each time they gain ten yards, the team is at their first down again, needing another ten yards(first and ten) within the next four downs, or plays.

I repeat. Gee!

[switching off and disappearing rapidly behind the barrier-e]

Actually, it seems more straightforward than crickettalk!

#93610 01/28/03 05:05 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Actually the definition of "down" was a bit scanty. It is also a verb, as in to down the ball, which means to bring an end to a play either by kneeling while in possession of the ball or, if you're the querterback, deliberately throwing an incomplete pass. (The latter also stops the clock.) To down the ball also may be used to describe when a kicking team, such as on a punt, grabs the ball before any of the receiving team's players do. For example, a punting team would rather down the ball on their opponents 1 yard line rather than let it go into the end zone thus resulting in a touchback.

#93611 01/29/03 02:08 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dxb, if you combine my if a team advances as much as ten yards (a football field is 100 yards in length between the end zones), then they get a "first down"--thus, if they get enough first downs, they can get close enough to the end zone that, when the quarterback receives the ball, he may just be able to jump over the line of scrimmage and land in the end zone (not that this is an easy maneuver, mind); however--if they have NOT gained ten yards after the third down, most of the time their next play will be to kick the ball downfield as far toward their end zone as possible; this means that they are acknowledging that they had to turn the ball over to the opponents, but they want to make sure the opponents have to start as far away as possible from their end zone, which is behind the team that just gave up the ball. Occasionally, a team will do a regular play on a 4th down; usually in extenuating circumstances such as being only a short distance from scoring a touchdown.
with your quote
DOWN: An offensive play, starting with a center snap and ending when the ball is dead. The offense gets four downs to gain ten yards. If they gain that before using all four downs, they get a first down and another four downs to gain another ten yards. Each time they gain ten yards, the team is at their first down again, needing another ten yards(first and ten) within the next four downs, or plays.
, then perhaps the overall picture will be clearer.
I should add that yardage is gained either by a player running with the ball, or by passing (throwing) it successfully to a teammate who is further downfield.

#93612 01/29/03 01:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
FIRST AND TEN: See down. Sounds like a crossword puzzle.

!!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 688 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith