Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#93500 02/02/03 05:49 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
Okay, sorry that I just flew off the handle about the whole rights thing. I'm just a very opinionated person and I tend just to say things before thinking. Anyway, here's another question for all of you. Since we have been discussing rights, what do you all think about the right of religion? I know you all have to have some thoughts, let me hear them.

#93501 02/02/03 12:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the right of religion

http://snurl.com/p8k

#93502 02/02/03 01:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm just a very opinionated person and I tend just to say things before thinking. I am reminded of what Anne Shirley said about a neighbor who didn't think before she criticized; it was something like, "How would it be if I went around sticking pins into people, then excused it by saying I'm sorry--that's just the way I am".

By way of a bit of education, my dear--oops, first let me say that I am glad that you felt you could join in. There are a number who are very timid about that. This is primarily a language-discussion board. As time has gone on, we have developed something of a family feeling towards one another, and have come to some understandings, some the easy way, others not. One of the understandings was that we would try to avoid starting non-word threads, but if we just couldn't help ourselves, we would try to put them in Miscellany. I believe that our little puppy dog was asking for help from friends, which all of us are generally happy to provide. Sometimes, hearing other peoples' opinions can affect one's own.
Another understanding we have come to is that we try to avoid potentially fraught discussions; politics and religion being prime candidates. For what it's worth, we seem to have "read between the lines" that, re: religion, we seem to have agreed "to each his own".
I expect you may have gone through school being smarter than everyone else. You may not find that to be so, here. If that turns out to be the case, it will become apparent, in time. You did not ask for my opinion, but I am going to put it anyway: to me, your screen name is pretty much the equivalent of announcing to people at the outset that you believe they are inferior to you. You might want to give some consideration to what effect that might have on people, in how they will relate to you, both here and in real life.

#93503 02/02/03 03:16 PM
B
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
B
You put it in better words than I could ever have done, thanks Jackie!
Though, when posting this thread, my main intention had been to get name suggestions for my webpage (which I did get a lot of), I was also aware that many peolple have many varying opinions on this issue, and given the wide range of proffesions, backgrounds and experiences of the members of this board, I was also interested to hear about the ideas of others as I am aware that, however strongly I feel about an issue, my ideas are not absolute and so should always be open to debate, critisism and advice.
I know what it is like to feel strongly about, and fight for an issue, yet the whole time I have to think about am I doing the right thing? Am I going too far? Just because it may be frustrating that people don't agree with you doesn't mean that they are not as justified as you in stating thier opinions - if we can't listen to everybody's ideas and make compromises, nothing can ever be changed.

P.S: I am a 'her'.

#93504 02/02/03 04:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, I had planned to edit in a P.S. to my post above, but I see that I got back here too late. So--re: "You might want to give some consideration to what effect that might have on people, in how they will relate to you, both here and in real life.", I should have added that I wish that someone had made that suggestion to me two decades ago. I must have the most understanding and accepting friends on earth, is all I can say.

#93505 02/02/03 04:36 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
bonzai, as a fellow student, I like the two early suggestions "leadtheheard" and "youthinc" most. No one really looks for websites just by typing them in, they google for them, so there's absolutely no reason to go with a bland, straightforward name. (Who would assume that monster.com is for jobs or that amazon.com is for books?) We young folks prefer creative names. (It's all part of the trend of young professionals prefering to live in a place with exicting culture than one with lower taxes.)

If you need any help with content etc, I'd me more than willing to assist. I've become a very active member in my school's chapter of the American Institute of Architecture Students, which has recently assumed a leading role in engaging students in faculty and administrative decisions.

#93506 02/02/03 04:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Okay, sorry that I just flew off the handle…

if you're truly having second thoughts about something you posted, it is possible to delete the post.

-ron obvious

#93507 02/02/03 04:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(It's all part of the trend of young professionals prefering to live in a place with exicting culture than one with lower taxes.)

JazzO - It kinda defies the definition of "trend" when it's happening for so long... ask Thorstein Velben about "conspicuous consumption".

http://spartan.ac.brocku.ca/~lward/Veblen/veblen_02_toc.html

#93508 02/02/03 05:28 PM
B
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
B
I like the two early suggestions "leadtheheard" and "youthinc" most.
Yep, I'm more-or-less definitley going with the 'Lead the Heard' idea - I've already designed a logo for it:
http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/bonzaialsatian/lth.html
I haven't had much time to do anything to the page yet, what with exam pressures and my own school campaign and stuff, but will soon.

#93509 02/02/03 06:13 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
my own school campaign
Ooh! Hope you win, Honey!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith