#92513 01/24/03 05:55 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>all-together.

Perhaps you meant all together or altogether [OneLook®]

#92514 01/24/03 06:19 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, geez, tsuwm...are you hyphenventilating again? [shaking-head-and-rolling-eyes e] (had to get some hyphens in there for ya, somewhere)

#92515 01/24/03 06:33 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My word will be my "Om" and my "Everything"

Whoa! I can see the whole paragraph!

Oon jellimon.

#92517 01/24/03 11:04 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I have always wondered why the ancients spoke of seven sisters, but today
the senth one seems to be missing. Apparently the answer to that is not known.
I did find a star chart with names of the stars:
http://www.seds.org/billa/twn/m45x.html

#92518 01/24/03 11:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It has to do with rods and cones....

#92519 01/25/03 12:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the ancients spoke of seven sisters

Graves said that there were seven visible, but one blew or something in historical (or just slightly prehistorical) times and that that fact is accounted for in the myth. ICLIU.

#92520 01/25/03 12:57 AM
M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Hmmm...No worthwhilewind I don't think this crew quite ready to seek nirvana, instead I think they need a koanic jolt to their modern day romote-clicking television sensibilities so that they might begin to understand the strange world that exists around them so that once again they can walk as equals among free thinking men.

Ah what the hell, let's try it anyway. (WO'N this extends your point about indirect viewing.)

*** Astronomers have learned that they can see very dim stars if they don't look directly at them. Sailors also know that this is the best way to see a dim light and use this technique of "averted vision". It works because the fovea contains only cones, which require a higher level of light than the rods, even though they distinguish color and images. The rods, exquisitely sensitive to even the lowest levels of light, are distributed around the fovea. To use them best, the eye must not aim directly at the object to be viewed. Thus to make out a dim pinpoint against the background of the night sky, the rods work best, and they are not in the fovea at all but spread around the central region of the retina.

*** During November in 1992 I studied the habits of blackbirds. In particular a flock (700 +) that nested at night in a huge magnolia tree in downtown Birmingham. At first light, after a warming spell on the nearby electric wires, the flock would fly (two to eight miles) towards the rising sun to neighborhood feeding grounds, separating into bird units of one, twos, threes, fours, or fives .
Then late in the afternoon they would begin to gather into long high flying bands, now flying westward towards the setting sun. Then upon arrival at the magnolia tree they would alight on the electric wires and warm their feathers and wait until someone or something, decided it was time to go to bed. Who or what decided, was my quest. I never did find out, but each time, at a point before the sun fully set, in an instantaneous flapping rush of 1,400 wings, the electric wires were emptied and the magnolia tree became full and the magnolia tree became dark and still for the night.
The rush to the tree took less than three seconds, and it was always complete to the last bird; no stragglers arrived after the single rush. I knew then of the green flash but never saw it, but now I suspect the trigger was a blue (or violet) flash that is unavailable for seeing by the unaided human eye .

*** The next time you go to the supermarket to check out the apples or peaches, turning them over to look for bruises or spoilage, remember that you are using your color vision in the same way your distant forebears did.
You will also be using your stereoscopic vision, the ability to focus both your eyes on the same spot in order to determine depth or distance. Stereoscopic vision must have been an important asset for creatures that lived in high trees, where missing a branch as you swung home could mean a screaming, fatal fall.
Those days of tree dwelling must have left an indelible imprint on our minds. The three most common fears among humans are fear of darkness, fear of falling, and fear of snakes. To a tree dwelling animal, darkness meant danger unless it was safely bundled into a warm, cozy nest. You can not see where you are going in the dark, and even our early ancestors depended heavily on vision; they were diurnal (daylight active) creatures, not nocturnal animals. Fear or falling is obvious to a tree-dwelling species. Infants display an innate fear of heights at the age of only a few months. And snakes must have been one of the few predators that could reach our monkey ancestors up in their leafy nests. Even in the dark.
~ Ben Bova ~ Story of Light

Conclusion

The rising and setting sun triggered directional and vital temporal responses in early man. Genetic amplification of the external signal of the sun (and to a lessor extent, the moon) to a image greatly magnified, was so advantageous to our predecessors that today, try as we might, our mind/eye system won't allow us to see the sun or the moon on the horizon, any other way.

#92521 01/25/03 04:20 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

#92522 01/25/03 06:42 AM
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Well, I have never had a (n overwrought)fear of snakes, quite the contrary, had a wild garter as a pet in my youth compliments of my nature loving father. And I do not fear falling; quite the contrary, I am terrified of *jumping which I seem irresistibly compelled to do when I get near the edge of something up high. And darkness, well it isn't inherently scary; I sort of like it, back to the safety of the womb I suppose. So I'm not sure just how universal those are. I don't think I'm goin' too far along with all that tree jumping stuff. Most of our worldview got imprinted when we came down from those trees, stood upright and started running around on those savannahs!

Still I liked the story of the blackbirds, the collective mind of them, I suppose, and it reminds me of the true story of the wild parrots of Long Beach and San Fransico which I just may have to write....(finally home from work on the left coast and none of you are awake....)
mm

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 453 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith