Next Thread
Print Thread
#92315 01/16/03 02:56 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Don't Misunderestimate Bushisms; They Resignate

Jan 15, 11:19 am ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Don't "misunderestimate" Dubya. Those verbal Bushisms are beginning to "resignate" with the American people. Maybe they'll even "embetter" the English language.
They may have started out as verbal slip-ups but several of President Bush's mangled phrases found their way on Tuesday to a list of the top words of 2002.

"There are already 11,000 instances of 'misunderestimate' on the Web. The more people use words, whether jocularly or seriously, the more likely they are to enter the language and last for generations," said Paul J.J. Payack, chairman of yourDictionary.com, which compiled the list.

Payack, a man who refuses to misunderestimate the power of a president to shape the language, said, "Our lists attempt to capture those ... innovations in word choice and usage that tell us something about ourselves."

The list of most important words of 2002 was drawn up with help from visitors to the yourDictionary.com Web site and from the site's group of linguists, who monitor the use of the English language around the world.

They include the so-called Bushisms; misunderestimate (to seriously underestimate), embetter (to make emotionally better -- the opposite of embitter), resignate (as in "They said this issue wouldn't resignate with the people") and foreign-handed (as in "I have a foreign-handed foreign policy").

In non-Bushisms, the post-September 11 world gave birth to "threat fatigue," while America's corporate and financial shenanigans introduced the verb to nasdaq (as in "His fortune was nasdaqued"), Nasdaq being the tech-heavy stock market.

There is also that well-known accounting practice disease known as Enronitis, and dot-communism (the conviction that everything on the Web should be free or, at least, paid for by someone else.)

But the most frequently used word on the planet, whatever the native language, is still "OK."

TEd
M
old hand
old hand
M
The more people use words, whether jocularly or seriously...

like "irregardless," which first appeared in Pogo, didn't it? That word got legs. Still gets on my tits when I hear it, I must say....that and "anyways" (among a handful of others).

But surely this is good news? -

But the most frequently used word on the planet, whatever the native language, is still "OK."

I mean, given what it COULD have been?! It's more embettered than, say, the ol' "f-word." And it's definitely more embettered than "NO," yes?!

#92317 01/17/03 04:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M-W on line lists 1912 as the earliest known date for irregardless.

#92318 01/18/03 12:59 AM
J
old hand
old hand
J
misunderestimate (to seriously underestimate), embetter (to make emotionally better -- the opposite of embitter)

They gave them distinct definitions!? I really doubt Bush's use of embetter had anything to do with emotion. He simply misused the words. Geez.

#92319 01/18/03 02:43 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
In reply to:

M-W on line lists 1912 as the earliest known date for irregardless.

Hmmm....Thanks, Faldage. - Well, regardless, I t'ink Pogo prolly made it famous. Or infamous, p'raps.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith