Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
old hand
old hand
J
Going looks like a definite maybe for me right now. I have a friend who's son was just hired high up in United to try to fix some of their problems, so I may be able to get a free flight, assuming they're still flying then. I just need to check with my faculty advisor to see if going on a transatlantic trip right before going off to my first internship is feasible.

R
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
R
This is great news, Jazzo
I'm keeping toes, fingers and eyes crossed from this point on.

R
addict
addict
R
Paypal is fine with me. Contact me by PM for my email if you want to go with this.

Thanks.

#92027 01/17/03 12:34 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W

R
addict
addict
R
Well, there won't be much call for lights since it gets dark at about 10:30pm at that time of year. And it shoudln't drop below 12 degrees C at night so we won't have the heating on much either.

The heat and light work on coin slot and between us we shouldn't be spending more than about $20 a house for the week. That's just over $3 each.

Flashlight? You mean a battery-powered torch?

Bring one if you like but I don't think we'll really need it unless it's to get home along the road from the pub. Actually that would be a good idea.....

Don't forget to take the batteries out first so as not to freak the airport security guys.

#92029 01/17/03 01:17 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I have a small flashlight--about the size of a wallet--that has 1,000 hours on it. It casts a pretty good circle of light, and I expect something as small--and effective--as it is would be good to take. You can't take the batteries out of it because it's a disposable flashlight. Guess I should call airport security--but I don't expect it would present a problem.

#92030 01/18/03 02:31 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Guess I should call airport security

or prolly you could just put it in your checked luggage? they don't freak out over stuff in there do they? (unless it's obviously explosives or summat like that)

Hey, if I can't go, I can still help plan, right?!

and I hope everyone will have a pint for me....[tipsy-e]

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The planning proceeds. I downloaded four apps for passports and was appalled to see how much they're gonna cost. $70 each for the kids and $85 each for the adults. You'd think they were trying to keep people home!

We're planning tentatively to arrive "incountry" (an adjective used during the Vietnam War) on about June 6, and rent a car. We'll bop around the country for a few days, and arrive at WAPI on the 10th. I'm pretty certain that we'll be taking several day trips during that period, particularly since I know you won't want the kids around full time. If I can convince Peggy that driving on the other side isn't difficult she can take the kids off for a couple of day trips so I can help deplete the country's Guinness supply.

We're also going to stay on for as much as a week after WAPI is over. I particularly want to spend some more time in Donegal, as I have a friend whose family castle is there. I'd never heard of it, but if you google Doe Castle you will find a lot of sites. Several of them mention the initials GVH "let into" one wall; interestingly, they seem to stand for General Vaughn Hart. My friend's name is George Vaughn Hart and I can't remember whether he's the III or the IV. The title in the family devolved onto his brother Donny, who died a few years ago without heirs, and I think George now bears the title. Will have to ask him. He said if I dropped his name in the area we'd get a wonderful reception. I'm interested in finding out if the G on the castle wall actually stands for General. Never would have occurred to me to use a title as part of a monogram.

Nice thing about Ireland is that you can get anywhere you want in just a few hours when traveling by car. Took longer when I went by bike, but Sasha's still on training wheels.

I hope to take a lot more pictures than I took on the last trip, and I certainly am not going to leave any film in my luggage for the airline to lose on the trip home. In fact, I have a new digital camera that puts the images directly onto a CD. Cheap and you can carry a whole lot of pictures in a shirt pocket. At the highest resolution I get around 75 pictures on a disc. At medium resolution it jumps up to over 400.

I told Peggy I wanted to go back and get a recharge from the Blarney Stone, and she went off to a meeting muttering something about coal and a new castle. Wonder if she meant Newcastle Brown.

TEd

TEd
R
addict
addict
R
and arrive at WAPI on the 10th.

Ted, please don't. We won't be there until the 15th!!! See dates at the top of the thread.

Donegal is fantastic and you won't be disappointed. My grandmother was from there and my biggest regret is that I didn't travel there when she was alive. Be sure to visit Glenveigh national park which is just stunning. You may be lucky enough to see one of the golden eagles which were reintroduced to Ireland from the US fifteen years ago. The last indigenous ones were hunted to extinction a century ago.

As for film I'm a keen photographer and take my camera with me on all my trips. As a rule I take everything as cabin baggage and pack only my tripod and other hardies in my hold luggage. The x-ray machine used for hold luggage is much more powerful than the one used for passengers and cabin baggage so your films stand a much better chance of survival staying with you. I carried back tewlve rolls of film from NY in December 2001 (after stringent security was introduced) and they all came out perfectly.

W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Clothing. I talked to my best friend who has traveled in Ireland a lot and asked her how to pack. This is what she wrote back to me, summarized:

Layers
Raincoat (necessary)
Comfortable shoes
Jacket for cool nights--combine the raincoat/jacket, she suggests

She didn't say whether heavy sweaters would be necessary for nights.

Now, I know this is probably of little interest to anybody, but I tend to have the worst instincts when it comes to packing for long trips. Always carry too much, which I can't stand. So I am going to make a big effort here to pack economically. And, if there is a sympathetic British ear out there who will help, thanks very much in advance.

1. Will jeans pretty much do it?
2. Are heavy sweaters probably necessary at night for those of us who shiver easily?
3. Lights-weight tops: Any sense in taking them at all that time of year? (IN other words, should I just leave my sleeveless tops back in the US?)
4. Bathing suits, I would guess, would be pretty much out of the question.
Thanks for your input. Packing for over a week is hard for me anyway, but I sure do intend to pack as lightly as possible this time. I told my friend in Connecticut: "Maybe I should just carry an empty suitcase and buy everything over there as needed." (I was just kidding, but, if I had a limitless budget--I don't--I'd almost be tempted.)

Best regards,
WW

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith