Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#9156 10/31/00 09:41 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
authorities apparently commissioned a number of scripts from Ted Geisel (Dr Seuss)

I'd love to see them, Paul. What would propaganda a la Seuss be like?? The mind boggles..

Ayleurs ahoy!

#9157 10/31/00 09:49 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#9158 11/01/00 12:19 AM
Avy Offline
old hand
old hand
For those that want to read more Lewis Carroll I would strongly recommend a collection of the letters he has written. In his own words, "The proper definition of man is 'an animal that writes letters'" He maintained a "Letter Register" in which was the record of every letter he sent or received. The number of letters sent stands at 98,721. I do not know how many of these have been published. I have a copy of a selection, which I have read and re-read and re-read. I am on the look out for an entire collection. Every letter, as the blurb says, is a mini wonderland.

It's odd how people react differently to books. Patrick Susskind's Perfume would be in my best books list. They say creative work should be aimed at a collective conscious. I am not sure there is such a thing.

#9159 11/01/00 12:41 AM
X
xara Offline OP
OP Offline
X
is the deluge up to your knees yet? Isn't the variety of books and authors that stir the soul amazing? You know I will be printing out this thread the next time I pop into my neighborhood bookstore.

YES! I find this thread so delicious that I can almost taste it. I have been reminded of wonderful books that I have read in the past that stir fond memories, and books that I have "always wanted to read."

One of my own favorites has to be "No Exit" by Sartre, and for some reason "Go Tell it on the Mountain" by James Baldwin keeps comming to mind lately, though I haven't thought about that one in quite some time..

#9160 11/01/00 04:19 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I find this thread so delicious that I can almost taste it. I have been reminded of wonderful books that I have read in the past that stir fond memories, and books that I have "always wanted to read."

Right on! even responding to you reminded me that I haven't read Lord of the Rings for about five years, and it is time I lifted it tenderly off the shelf again. And that will set me on to re-reading The Silmarillion.

Thanks for starting this, xara.

#9161 11/01/00 08:09 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I keep forgetting to look up the author-- but i am surprised that no one has put in "the professor and the madman"
a book about the making of the OED...
I also loved all of Lewis Thomas books--all of them are collections of his essays for New England Journal of Medicine-- 3 pages on topic, and no matter how little science you have, you can put up with organic chemistry for three pages. (i have no advanced chemistry--except, that which i picked up in Asimov's "World of Carbon" and "World of Nitrogen") and he (back to Lewis Thomas) has many essays on language and words. It was from him that i picked up Sit and Chair have the same root if you go back far enough.. (only M-W here at work)

I made a new years resolution one year to read at one non-fiction book for every 3 peices of fiction. best resolution i ever made. Its easy to fall into the habit of fiction, and there is so much good fiction--and even some of the junk (say sci-fi) is just addictive. I know i an not the only Heinlein fan, since Father Steve was just an instant in finding the quote, and i have seen other references to sci-fi. I draw the line at romance-- too many beautiful people, living happily ever after--ugh!

and no votes for V.S. Naipal? A Bend in the River-- or (why can't i think of any titles! these senior momemts are getting excessive!) and historical novels are some of my favorites. Anya Seton (almost entirely out of print)
But "Devil Water" or "The Winthrope Women" both are novel that straddle the Atlantic. They start in England, and move over to the Americas. Devil Water centers on Jenny Radcliffe, the only child of the last Earl of Derwentwater, (just outside Newcastle)--he was a supporter of "the king over the water" and lost his head about it (last peer beheaded at the tower!) Oh, but work beckens...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith