Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#9146 10/31/00 02:36 AM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
Using Fishy's criterion "the best books are those that move you", I'd have to nominate:

1. Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls, and
2. E. Annie Proulx's The Shipping News

(1) was the both the first book I cried over and the first book I read twice, and (2) gets my vote for imagery and sheer poetry of style.

#9147 10/31/00 02:50 AM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
...on the other hand, using quite different criteria, I can't log out without mentioning:

Tolkein's The Hobbit, and
J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series (yup, all of them, and it ain't over yet!) I must plead guilty to fighting with my daughters over these. They would start again at The Philosopher's [aka Sorcerer's] Stone and catch up to me on the third or fourth book.

Both authors have created very comprehensive, consistent and credible imaginary worlds in their works, and both use nomenclature that appeals to the linguaphile in me. Doesn't the name "Draco Malfoy" just drip with evil?

old hand
old hand
War and Peace: "It's one of those books you have to read before you die. Therefore, the longer I put off reading it, the longer I live."

Probably the reason it's not on my list of pet hates - I haven't read the ruddy thing.

#9149 10/31/00 11:11 AM
P
addict
addict
P
<Dr Seuss Brilliant stuff!>

There was a TV documentary here [in Australia] a few months ago about the use of propaganda cartoons during World War II. The authorities apparently commissioned a number of scripts from Ted Geisel (Dr Seuss) because of his use of repetitive simple words which got the message across to soldiers (many of whom had a low level of literacy) better than 'standard' scripts.

#9150 10/31/00 03:32 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
tsuwm's right (as is often the case!) - this is so subjective as to be practically unanswerable, and I also agree that the best way is to read - or at least attempt to read- anything you can lay your hands on.
My own criterion for a "really good" book is that it has to be one that I want to read for a second time. Very few come into that category. When I was very young, the "Just William" books were favourite and recurrent reading (I wonder how they would go down with an American - not too well, I guess, as they rely very much on an English view of the world - and a middle class one, at that!) Now, it is "The Lord of the Rings" (JRR Tolkien) and some of Dylan Thomas' short stories - "Adventures in the Skin Trade" are good. Lord Macaulay's poetry is always re-readable, for me, as is Omar Khayyam. Most (not all) of Dickens, with its complicated sub-plots, I can read again and find that I have forgotten half of it.
The only Shakespeare that I re-read are his sonnets - and those not often!

But there is so much that is interesting, funny, touching on its first and only reading that I will try just about anything - even Mills and Boone!

#9151 10/31/00 03:42 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Most (not all) of Dickens, with its complicated sub-plots, I can read again and find that I have forgotten half of it.

Strangely enough, Dickens is one of my pet hates - convoluted plots, improbable characterisation, a tendency to shows of facile emotion... and that's just the opening chapter

BUT... not only would it be very dull if all tastes coincided, I may also point out the other fundamental for me: that you have to be prepared to revisit both loves and hates (and sometimes even indifferents) and be open to a change of heart. Such is growth.

I have just finished devouring a novel by Peter Carey called 'Jack Maggs', and it blew me away. Possibly partly because it built on my reading of the popular Oz history I read this summer (mentioned in another F).. but also because it's inspired me to revisit Mr Dickens himself. So I'll let you know in a while

#9152 10/31/00 04:08 PM
old hand
old hand
I will try just about anything - even Mills and Boone!

It sounds like you're ashamed of that. Mills and Boon is stirring stuff - I read about 75 of them between the ages of 11 and 13. Never regretted it. Not ashamed of it. Doubt if I could plough through one these days, though... Or Biggles.

#9153 10/31/00 08:05 PM
old hand
old hand
I promised I wouldn't do somethinglike this, and now I've just gone and done it. Here (purely for ego-marketing) is a set of lists of favourite books. (Yes, dangit, I'm costive enough to have separate lists!)

Novels

Kim Rudyard Kipling
The life and opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman Laurence Sterne
The glass key Dashiell Hammett
Feet of clay Terry Pratchett
Musrum Eric Thacker and Anthony Earnshaw (though you're not likely to ever find a copy)

Novellas

The man who would be king Kipling (again)
Heart of Darkness Joseph Conrad
The turn of the screw Henry James
One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Chronicle of a death foretold Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Outsider Albert Camus (though I've been told time and time again I should refer to it as 'The Stranger')

Plays

The Importance of being Ernest Oscar Wilde
Heartbreak House George Bernard Shaw
Waiting for Godot Samuel Beckett
Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf? Edward Albee
Much ado about nothing William Shakespeare

'Science'

Guns, germs and steel Jared Diamond
The mismeasure of man Stephen Jay Gould
Darwin's Dangerous Idea Danial C Dennett
Where does the weirdness go? (bother, I can't remember the author'sname offhand)
How the mind works Stephen Pinker

If I were really self-glorifying, I'd have included my list of favourite poems. But there you go...

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#9154 10/31/00 09:14 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
xara, is the deluge up to your knees yet? Isn't the variety of books and authors that stir the soul amazing? You know I will be printing out this thread the next time I pop into my neighborhood bookstore.

Shanks dear, not weak. We love what we love, and when we do, it is hard not to shout it from the rooftops.

F
veteran
veteran
F
the longer I put off reading it, the longer I live

Love it.

Only problem is, I could be tempted to over-use that line.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith