Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#90707 01/05/03 02:31 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
let's admit that the term was not a "latin" maxim as you imply
If volens isn't an abbreviation of the latin maxim "volenti non fit injuria" [which itself is a handy abbreviation], then it's news to me.

Personally, I have never been much interested in the precise derivation of these abbreviations. They are handy and they work in the company of lawyers and judges and that has always been enough for me. I confess I'm the kind of person who drives a car to work everyday but I've never been curious about what's going on beneath the hood [unless I see smoke].

Nevertheless, your explanation of the actual derivation of "volens" is welcome. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think "volens" is a latin maxim if it is merely derived from, or inspired by, a latin maxim.

#90708 01/05/03 03:06 PM
P
veteran
veteran
P
At what point does the concept of volens become superceded by clearly criminal activity on a playing field?

We are indebted to Milum for the answer, AW. The key part of the definition he has provided are the words injury relative to that danger. One consents to an injury which one can reasonably foresee.

Some 'rough stuff' is reasonably foreseeable within the rules of the game, but gratuitous or excessive use of force against a player, or attacking anyone who is not a player, is not within the compass of the "volens" maxim. This is true even if "volens" is derived from, and is not itself a latin maxim, as Milum has further elucidated.

A ref is not a player and he has not consented to the risk of injury, AW [at least injury from wilful attack] so I, for one, agree with you. Attacking a ref is a criminal act.

On the other hand, attacking a poster in this forum who wields a term like "volens" with precision, but without understanding its precise historical derivation, is just part of the game. [And I hope it has been as entertaining for others as it has been for me and Milum.]

#90709 01/05/03 07:11 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
And I hope it has been as entertaining for others as it has been for me and Milum.

Hear hear, Mister Plutarch. But please remind me watch out in the future. A man who gives credit to others as graciously as you do is a very confident man, and confident men bear watching.

Just (mostly) kidding,

Milum.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith