F
There are ladies present

Are there?? Where?

'Scusez-moi, mesdames!

#9060 11/02/00 08:01 AM
old hand
old hand
Shona

I'm pure Malayali Nair by blood - so can also claim Baronial forbears. (In fact, a great-great-great grandfather of mine was the Raja ['king'] of Kollengode. Not that this means much, given that Kollengode can hardly claim a population of more than about 2000, but still...)

Perhaps we can swap notes about the best way to exercise the droit de seigneur and stuff like that.

But, oh woe is me - have I been too flippant here? Should I have moved all this to some other forum, with appropriate links etc? Should I have titled my post: "Aside to Shona, all others may ignore"? Oh dear, the burden of decision-making...

#9061 11/27/00 10:56 PM
M
Marty Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
M
I thought it was time I dusted off this thread and asked the question of our newcomers - wow, Bobyoungbalt, CapitalKiwi, lukaszd, ShyHeart and anyone else I've forgotten. How about a few words on the route that brought you to our odd little world?

#9062 11/28/00 01:36 AM
S
stranger
stranger
S
It was several months ago when I happened onto mention of AWAD; I believe it was in Newsweek magazine. I think that was an issue I browsed through while waiting for my (ex) boyfriend's doctor appointment. It was out of town and I had accompanied him. I jotted down a few interesting URL's from the magazine. This one really panned out! I've been an AWAD subscriber for several months, and I'm just now trying some posting, after reading some fairly recently. I have long been fascinated by word etymology and also all kinds of trivia, and I love learning, and books. I am still stumbling around on my computer, because it's very new to me! I am genuinely impressed by what I see on the boards here -- signs of intelligent life, I guess you could say! and friendly people who are not nitpickers who make me afraid to join in the conversation! (Thanks for not being language police!)

#9063 11/28/00 03:18 AM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I read about the AWArD in the current Smithsonian Magazine. I browse the subjects when I get the mag, saw Anu's picture, read the article and logged on. I have been involved with words all my life. This is my first board. The participants all "read" so warm and friendly, funny and punny. Even my blunders were (and are) corrected kindly and considerately. All this confirms my opinion that book people and word people are kind, generous of spirit and all together thoroughly fine people. I was going to say "nice people" then I made a swift trip to the New Shorter Oxford English CD and WHOA ..there are definitions of nice that NEVER entered my mind. Perhaps we could have a thread on nice? I rely on your good will when I blunder; your forbearance when I get pompous; your good will when I try your patience. Let me know when I get out of line. Be blunt as I don't always get hints! Thank you to all for the words of welcome. I hope you are all enjoying the holly daze. It is past my bedtime so I am going to sign off now. Sweet dreams, all.WOW
Any more guesses as to meaning of wow? There are two already that I didn't think of... woman of wonder is apt (wrong but apt) as wondering is stock in trade for writers.

#9064 11/28/00 05:30 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My erudite and highly verbal son enjoys nothing more than to "top" his dear old dad by using a word with which I am unfamiliar. In order to further this end, he subscribed to several "word a day" services on the Net. After a time, the glow wore off his "cappers" and he conceded the address from which one may order Anu's stuff. I read this for quite a while before deciding to surface on the board. I'm really not a board sort of fellow but this one seems quite the exception to the mindless ones on which people seem to be constantly shouting inanities at one another.

#9065 11/28/00 12:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, WOW! THANK YOU for posting that!!! Oh, I have been wondering and wondering what our great benefactor looks like! Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness, I'm SO
excited! (Speaking of which, does your screen name represent your attitude?)

He's definitely in my Favorites! Here's the link:
http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues00/dec00/wordaday.html

#9066 11/28/00 02:28 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Jackie ... Gotcha! You are bypassing the main page! It has an alert to the Smithsonian article. Naughty naughty. About name : Just to save you having to ask... a dear old friend immediately said "wicked old witch." Granted she said it with a smile but I refused her request for a second piece of chocolate cake and she was properly chastened. WOW

#9067 11/28/00 02:39 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Two things for Jackie and all others who are checking out the Smithsonian article and photo of Anu 1. The article in the actual publication is much more complete and the picture much larger. 2. If you click on Jackie's link to Smithsonian, scroll to end and you'll see that you can buy a copy of the magazine containing the AWArD article. I mention this because I noted that some of you said you didn't get to the Board right away because you do not scroll all the way down to the junk at the end. OK, off you go now!

#9068 11/28/00 02:46 PM
X
X
Wonderful link Jackie!

Anu certainly does look like a jolly fellow.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 441 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith