Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've been doing my own word-a-day via email for 10 years or so and get lots of words and referrals in return. about two or three years ago a subscriber mentioned AWAD to me and I subsequently linked to it from my web site. I've never been a subscriber (would be supererogatory since I take the link every day). a little over a year ago I was surprised to receive the following email:

Great collection of words you have at wwtfd. Please add me to your mailing
list. BTW, I've been running AWAD (A.Word.A.Day) for over five years. You
may find it interesting: http://www.wordsmith.org/awad

I only mention the latter because he claims over 300,000 subscribers in just five years, while I check in today with nearly 500! I guess one might conclude that AWAD is more... um... accessible than WWFTD.

#9050 10/28/00 07:28 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I came across AWAD in October last year when I was looking through some of the links from A Web of Online Dictionaries as it was called in those days (now yourDictionary.com). I got the introductory spiel when AWADtalk started up and joined but then forgot about it for a couple of months. It was still lurking about in my list of favourites and eventually surfaced, and has been taking over more and more of my life ever since. An hour or so a day just about keeps me up to date with the postings but I have a horrible suspicion I might have to give up soon.

Bingley

Bingley
#9051 10/28/00 03:45 PM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
Rachel, the receptionist at the department where I work, recommended AWAD in one of her regular "newsletters" to the department. I hooked up to it and read the daily word for a couple of weeks. I then, in a moment of boredom, turned to the board - the first one I had ever accessed - and read that every day for just over a week. I forget what I read that made me need to reply - I suppose I could check my first post and remind myself - but I subscribed and started to acquire this addiction (officially, of course, it's only an enthusiasm at the moment)

Since then, my work output has gone down dramatically. If I suddenly disappear from view, it's because they've sacked me and I haven't yet out my home computer on to the net

Like Jackie, I think this is a grand place - my stock of useless information has mutiplied enormously since joining, and I 'aven't 'ad sich a good laff since Gran'ma caught her apron in t'mangle.

Thanks to all of you!

#9052 10/28/00 06:52 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
I subscribe to the opinion that the more you know, the more you realize you don't know. This may sound strange for one still in high school, but I think my AP history and physics classes last year gave me a yearning to learn more, including a lust to expand my vocabulary. This led me to embark on a Google search for a site that would do such, and I, somehow, ended up here. I signed up, I believe in May of this year, during male-and-female-versions-of-words week. I joined AWADtalk less than a week later.

Participating in this discussion board made me enter my AP English class with a whole new perspective.

#9053 10/28/00 07:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the more you know, the more you realize you don't know.

Jazz., I am not a bit surprised that you are in AP classes.
Here is an interesting corollary to your first sentence.

The more you know, the more you forget.
The more you forget, the less you know.
The less you know, the less you forget.
The less you forget, the more you know!

#9054 11/01/00 02:58 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Better late than never..

It all kicked off with my deciding it was time to set up a Web site. I needed a theme and a name, but being unable to conceive of anything I knew that others may find useful - or even entertaining - I followed pure whimsy in making my decision. I suppose Guinness have to take most of the blame, but whatever, http://www.fishonabike.com was the end result.

The initial version of the site went "live" on 1st April 2000, which may or may not have some significance.
Despite some fairly grandiose intentions, I haven't done much with the site since then.

Sunrise, sunset, a bit of fiddling on the roof..

Meanwhile in sunny Awadia, much as an analogy is drawn where one isn't strictly necessary, the Simile Fred was bearing strange fruit. You can all blame wsieber for first mentioning a fish on a bike in a post way back on 15/7:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Board=miscellany&Number=3572

After a short delay, lots of Ayleurs got in on the act, and you could hardly move for piscine peregrinations.

Enter tsuwm, with a suspicious mind and a reference to my Website:
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Board=wordplay&Number=5790

It could still have ended here but for my dear, occasionally scary, Auntie (Anna)Strophic who Emailed me some basic info about AWAD and invited me to swim around and have a butcher's (+ hook = look. Though probably it should be "fishmonger's" here) some time. For some reason she thought AWAD may be of some relevance to us pisces bicyclata.

How wrong she wasn't.

Anyway, I made my first post on 11/10, and have had many exciting adventures here since then, under a fair variety of guises. The delicate matter of my parentage still hasn't been resolved, although the delicate matter of my gender has been. Pretty much.

Which planet I'm on is another matter entirely.

It's been great fun!

FishonaBike/Shona/Fishman/Fisk/Floppy Fiskette

P.S. shanks must be credited with the first use of 'Shona':
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Board=miscellany&Number=5856

#9055 11/01/00 03:49 PM
old hand
old hand
P.S. shanks must be credited with the first use of 'Shona':

My blushes!!

#9056 11/01/00 03:49 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
>The delicate matter of my parentage still hasn't been resolved, although the delicate matter of my gender has been. Pretty much.

Excuse me, but the delicate matter of your gender has NOT been discussed. There are ladies present Mister, thank-you very much

#9057 11/01/00 03:52 PM
old hand
old hand
The delicate matter of my parentage still hasn't been resolved

Am assuming, from your name (Shona just 'places' you so, geographically speaking, doesn't it?) and other coy hints you have dropped here and there, that 'Eastern' European is where it's at - Polish or Czech, for choice...?

#9058 11/01/00 10:18 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Polish or Czech?

I'm impressed, shanks - pure Polish by blood!

Pass the barsht, bigos and wodka and I'll regale you with tales of the swathes of land my grandparents used to own.
(they were all barons, you know).

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith