About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#89978 02/12/03 09:44 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i have seen leather palms-- the kind to protect the palm of the hand. My father in law (now deceased) collected old ship making tools as a hobby. he had hand awls and sewing kits for sails. he even had an old box of oakum, as well as several old chisel like tools for packing the oakum. all the tools had a one peice, seamless leather straps, so the sailors could keep them on their wrist, and not have them fall into the water.

he had many augers, beautifully made, for fitting mortises into wood. timbers on wooden ships are large, and the augers were too!

He never 'went to sea' but always like ships and the ocean, and when (age 40) he faced being drafted in WWII, he joined the coastguard--a served as an engineer. His Coast Guard service was the only time he was at sea. (after the war he worked for Dept of Parks-- and was the "parkie"--(local name for park employees) for Flushing Meadow Park, as chief engineer in the park, he was responsible for over all park during the 1963 world fair in NY.)

#89979 02/12/03 09:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
He's made to dwell in a dungeon cell
In a spot that's always barred.

this may be no more than referrence to his barred cell; or perhaps he has to play his extravagant matches against a superior foe with a spot (handicap) being barred (forbidden).

-joe pool

#89980 06/21/03 11:16 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
In a spot that's always barred.

this may be no more than referrence to his barred cell...

Coming late to this spot, I believe this refers to the early days of English billiards when you could initiate high breaks by directly pocketing the red off its own spot - and at some time in the development of the game (quite likely around the time that The Mikado was written) a new rule was instituted which barred this action. I once played on an ancient table complete with mahogany score board marked something like Orme & Co Spot-barred Billiards, but of course Joe's right about the allusion to barred windows as the pun.

~ Billy Hardball

old hand
old hand
Actually, ot, I hadn't heard either term until now! But I'll carry the knowledge with me always, if only thimbolically.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith