About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#89607 12/17/02 05:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
bikermom - As far as I know, some form of American English (divided into reading, spelling, writing and vocabulary in the early years) is required throughout high school here. In the afore mentioned junior and senior years, we still had math, science, english and PE to do each morning.

-------------

...spurious pseudo-ethics.

Are there any other kind?

#89608 12/17/02 10:34 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
As far as I know, some form of American English (divided into reading, spelling, writing and vocabulary in the early years) is required throughout high school here.

Yes, and usually at least 3 math classes, 2 science and 2 social studies. Civics, gym and health classes are also generally required. Most? colleges also require a foreign language (usually 2-3 years worth) and some form of fine arts class too (band, choir, art).

#89609 12/18/02 12:46 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
I know that American English, spelling, math and reading is taught in American schools. I also know that most colleges require a foreign language study of 2 to 4 years. But what is still lacking is just plain old basic every day living knowledge, maintenance and know-how. Plus what is also still lacking is the mandatory foreign language study beginning in public elem school. At least 9 weeks worth every year. At age 10, most children are eager to learn new things----by high school, most American kids are into the sports, dating, and music scene and not much else. And yes, if you want to live in America, English is the master language and for all immigrants, it should be required. Just as if I moved to Germany, I would learn German, and use it every day. I would not request that the German people speak English to me and if the newspapers were only in German, well then, order a subscription from your native land. We all live in this world together----but as they say "When in Rome-----"

enthusiast

enthusiast
#89610 02/07/03 09:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
my daughter in law sent her son (not my grandson) to a Walton school-- and he was taught knitting in first grade. Montisourie (Spelled wrong...but the point) also teach first and second graders 'cooking' and have them handling sharp (really sharp!) knives.

NYC has (or had until a few years ago) Aviation HS-- every one graduated with pilots licence, and 90% of the graduates where sucked upped by the avaition industry... it was a trade school that graduated junior engineers. Automotive HS still exist.. and its graduates often end up in company sponsered 'intership programs" that include college scholarships.

old timers might remember the film "Fame" -- which featured one of NYC's "arts' HS-- Sara Geller--(buffy, the vampire slayer) is a graduate of La Guardia school for the Arts.. other graduates have gone onto professional dance careers, or to Julliard.

in the past, NYC "technical' HS used to graduate students with as LPN's (Licenced practial nursed, not RN's, but still a good skill.) and licenced beauticians.

most school systems aren't large enough to meet student needs like this, but NYC highschools do have programs for oceanography, photography, and even vetinary skills.

some of the skills are "shop" (the vetinary program can result in a graduate who is skilled in dog grooming, or in a high life science program that is ideal to pursue vetinary medicine.)

i think it is wrong to presume everyone wants (or needs) to go to college. It should be an option, but societies that value their philosophers more than plumbers, will soon find that neither their philosophies or their pipes will hold water!

#89611 02/07/03 10:04 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
""i think it is wrong to presume everyone wants (or needs) to go to college. It should be an option, but societies that value their philosophers more than plumbers, will soon find that neither their philosophies or their pipes will hold water! "" stated of troy
exactly my point, and you said it with much deep impact, lots of tact and much humour.
As the saying goes " Variety is the Spice of Life" And also "Too much of anything is not good"

enthusiast

enthusiast
#89612 02/08/03 03:12 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
constructed from pine complete with routered(routed?) edges

I would say "routed" or else something specific to the type of routing done, like "chamfered."

Interesting link http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/loadpage.cgi?1044720443_2229+profile.htm

#89613 02/08/03 06:29 PM
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Thanks for the new word---"chamferd" is the correct word when referring to something done with the woodworking tool called a router.
I stand corrected. Chamfered means to bevel.

enthusiast

enthusiast
#89614 02/08/03 08:12 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I have seen "chamfer" used to mean dulling a sharp edge, as in making telescope mirrors.
The etymology is also interesting:
chamfer
n.
5Fr chanfrein < OFr chanfraindre < chant fraindre < L cantum frangere: see CANT2 & BREAK6a beveled edge or corner, esp. one cut at a 45U angle
vt.
1 to cut a chamfer on; bevel
2 to make a groove or fluting in

#89615 02/28/03 12:22 AM
S
S
Mine as well. For both years of junior high, we had to take 6 weeks of each of: music, art, sewing, cooking, woodshop/graphic arts, and metal shop/small engines.

[a re-hi to the old hands I see here after more than a year of absence]

#89616 02/28/03 01:07 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
One thing I learned in Boy Scouts might well be incorporated somewhere in Manual Arts
program : a few simple knots. I have been amazed and a bit disgusted to see people who
can't tell a granny from a square knot, who have no idea what a fisherman's knot is, or
how to tie a bowline. I have heard of expensive pleasure boats taking harm because owner
did not know how to tie mooring line. I found some pictures in a Boy Scouts site, and think
I'll post some of it here, since it is educational.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith