Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#8879 10/24/00 09:08 AM
shanks Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I have been a participant on quite a few message boards over the last four years or so. I have to say that not one of them has managed to be quite so international as AWADtalk. Just as a kind of reminder, or record, I wondered if participants could confirm (maybe once again) which countries they come from.

I know, of course, that the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are well represented here. I have seen at least one poster from India. Any South Africans? Any other South Asians? South East Asians? What about the Caribbean? Africa (rest of)? South America? Is there anybody out there?

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#8880 10/24/00 10:05 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Scotland, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Indonesia, Tasmania (W-->E).
There was someone from Spain, and someone who was originally from South Africa (living in NZ). I don't know if either of them will be back. There was someone from Japan, who may be back if his new job eases up. There was one from Ireland, who will not be back. There were about two posts from someone in China some time back; none since.

#8881 10/24/00 08:03 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
I know, of course, that the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are well represented here

NZ well represented here? Intriguing. Where are all the other Kiwis hiding? I always read the AWAD newsletter when it comes out to see how many subscribers are from .nz, and am constantly embarrassed at how few there are - still fewer than one thousand AWAD subscribers. I have only been posting here for a couple of months, but in that short time, I can't seem to recall many other NZers posting. Representation here is something else at which our Trans-Tasman cousins are beating us hands down!

#8882 10/24/00 08:25 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>NZ well represented here?

sometimes it only takes one, max. :-)

#8883 10/24/00 09:12 PM
shanks Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

Zigackly! Ferpick.

Asterisk

#8884 10/24/00 10:11 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Max,

Perhaps, pro rata, there are more NZers in AWADtalk (awaders, awaddlers, waders, awadeers, awadadiddies diddy dum diddy doos) than in the general membership in AWAD.

Is there a way we can find out the active members in AWADtalk? It would be interesting.

#8885 10/24/00 10:35 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>active members

Its not too difficult to do a quick summary.

Here is a rather unscientific and inelegant version:
Select one of the discussion areas. Swipe mouse across to select body text in columns, copy. Paste into a spreadsheet ,eg Excel, delete extraneous detail, leaving only names of people making posting, delete all mentions after the second one, giving list.

Repeat operation for as many pages as you have time for, amalgamate and delete duplicates. The only problem is it took too long as it tried to copy and paste all the links too, i'm sure its easy to turn hyperlinks off (I know how to do it in Front Page but not sure if you can do it globally in Word or Excel). I'm too tired to try again but I'm sure its a dead easy job for one of you programmer types to work out a quick solution over a cup of Starbucks. (I'll let Anna off and anyone with windpowered Macs.)

PS just noticed have to adjust it for really old threads which have been brought to the top by a recent post, so may have to keep the date column so you can delete really old posts if only want recent ones. I'm sure someone will work out a more elegant solution.

#8886 10/24/00 11:32 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
Just managed to make my method work for this current page in my browser:

AnnaStrophic*Avy*awaddle
*belMarduk*Bingley*Bridget
*emanuela*dawa*enrique*FatherSteve*FishonaBike
*Jackie*Jazzoctopus*jmh*Kmeson*lusy
*Marty*maverick*Max Quordlepleen*metameta
*of troy*paulb*RhubarbCommando*shanks
*TEd Remington*the mailler *tsuwm*wsieber*xara

Add a post to this list (or send me a mail) if you are around and are not mentioned, I'll update it - your latest post may be on the next couple of pages or on one of the other discussion areas.

#8887 10/25/00 12:53 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
jo,

A quick way:
1) Press on threaded mode button (top left corner button under logout) to get a recap of thread per post.
2) Highlight all, copy, then paste into word.
3) Eliminate the thread subject column and voila you have a list of the people who participated in that thread (along with the date of appearance should you wish to eliminate the older ones)
You can also alphabetize in Word if you wish.

What I was really looking for was a recap like you get through the home page - the one that lists all the participating countries and members in each. It would be nice to have one for AWADtalk specifically.

#8888 10/25/00 06:19 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
So here's a list of who has posted so far:

belMarduk* Jackie* jmh* Max Quordlepleen* shanks* tsuwm

Looks like Can - 1,UK - 2, USA - 2, NZ -1, so far but I can't see a quick way of matching up people and homes without going back to their profiles.

I find that I tend to check out the profile for new members as I'm always interested in where they are based. It relates back to the poster sex conversation. I like to have my own image of the person, even if it later turns out to be incorrect. I wonder if as e-mail becomes more common and face to face communication (at least in business) becomes less common we'll lose that need for a context.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith