Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I
And thanks, wwh, for the link.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the cat is just too big

Not to mention observing the whole time (at least whilst still alive).

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Did Schrödinger's cat have nine lives?

M
old hand
old hand
M
How stupid. The silly word-a-gram "Schroeders Cat" is a meaningless construction that only has function in a child's game. Forgive me. I try my best to be polite.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Milum: Sorry about the nine lives bit.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You know, I may or may not get involved in this discussion.

Actually, the preceding sentence is to examine the absurdity of the construction. "I may or may not" makes me do a slow burn whenever someone uses it. An old boss of mine used to make me even crazier by putting hand quotes around the phrase whenever he said it, and he said it pretty often.

It was just over eight years ago that I went to my last office Christmas party, and this man's performance at that one was the reason for my forgoing these annual events, even after he retired. This was a very small gorup, perhaps ten people, so we decided to have a Christmas lunch at the Rattlesnake Club in Denver, a pretty expensive and wonderful place.

When we got there, Bill was in his cups, and we seated ourselves around the table with some trepidation. The waiter came out and Bill ordered a bottle of wine. The waiter got the bottle, opened it, and poured a small glass for everyone at the table.

Bill stood up, grabbed the waiter by the tie and pushed him against the wall. "Listen, you little motherf*****r, that was for me. Bring me another bottle right now."

The silence was overwhelming as we all got up and walked out.

TEd

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Irregardless of whether or not I [bucky quotes]may or may not[/bucky quotes] get into this conversation or not...

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Well the nine lives quip gave me a good laugh...

B
old hand
old hand
B
> Schrödinger's point was that the conscious observer interpretation was absurd

This sounds right to me. And although poor ol' Heisenberg may have been much maligned for his trying to include such insignificant details of the universe as life and consciousness into a model of the world at least he had the gumption to try. The idea of completely consensual reality is no more absurd than this cat in the box.
Far more profound than any subjectivity, relativity or chaos theory are the ideas of the little-known German, Högel I'd say. He proved mathematically (some which way) that any expressions for a system created or perceived 'present' cannot be defined within its own terms or borders. This came coupled with the uncomfortable realization that 2+2 does not equal 4 but that it is merely a strong tendency.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
isn't that Kurt Gödel? as in Gödel, Escher, and Bach?

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 428 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith