Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#88157 12/01/02 01:02 AM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Critics are saying The Two Towers is better than Fellowship! I can't wait! Opens 12/18!

For preview, interesting background on Peter Jackson and the movie's production, and the new trailer, click here:

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101021202/story.html

#88158 12/01/02 02:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it looks fabulous! I saw the trailer the other night, and they finally showed a shot of Fangorn. going to be amazing! I can't wait either. we got the Director's cut of Fellowship. very well done. just not enough time to watch it as often as I'd like!

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
The QuickTime player required to view the Two Towers movie trailer IS LOADING DAMAGED FILES (not viruses, I scanned them, dunno what the corruption is, but). It will not play any video, movies, or clips without freezing up and/or automatically re-starting your PC. DO NOT DOWNLOAD QUICKTIME! And if you uninstall you can't delete the Extension Files without impairing other applications, and the Quicktime remnants will not allow Windows Media Player or RealPlayer to run, so it's a real mess (my PC wants me to reinstall QuickTime to view any video now). Take $8.00 and go see a movie if you want to catch the trailer, it'll be a lot cheaper than all the time and aggravation I just wasted over this (and with no solution yet in sight, evidently).

AppleŽ If this is any indication, y'all can have your Mac-yak-yak-yaks!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sorry to hear about your troubles, Whit. my guess is that they are encoded with QT 6, or mpg4, which not much will play yet.
I will check on this on another list, if you don't mind me using your info(anonymously, of course). see if we can't find out more about this.
I'll wait until your reply, before I go ahead with it.

edit: well, I decided not to wait, hehe. so we'll see what we get.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
etaoin, I have three files from the QuickTime 6 package showing up as damaged in my "Downloaded Program Files" window: two QuickTime Plugin Class Files and one QuickTimeCheck ActiveXControl Files, but they all show up as "ActiveX" files in their respective "preferences". The "6" is an upgrade beyond my Windows Media Player and RealPlayer capabilities, so that may be why QuickTime, even though supposedly uninstalled, is taking precedence. And may also confirm your explanation for the problems. There are still 20 files from the QuickTime package showing up on my system even after uninstalling (the window warned not to uninstall all the files or problems could result, and showed two 'remove' buttons, suggesting the more limited one). Still, the remianing files seem to include the main QuickTime File of 4,370 KB and other major KB files that I assume should have been removed when uninstalling the program...so I don't get it???
The window in the "Add/Remove" section said the uninstallation was complete.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Whit: I haven't heard anything from my other list yet, and unfortunately, I know little about PC's, but I would try the uninstall again, and use the less limited one, and see what you get. sometimes uninstalls take a few times to really get everything, silly as that sounds. also, have you rebooted since the uninstall? also worth a try.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Addendum: BTW, the QuickTime shortcut on my Desktop and it's listing in my Start Menu program files is gone, but the icon keeps popping up in my taskbar near the clock, no matter how many times I uninstall it from the Add/Remove???
It's like I stepped on flypaper, I can't get rid of it!

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
etaoin: I clicked on that QuickTime icon in the taskbar and went in and deactivated all the MIME Settings, and on that menu there was a little checked box at the bottom that read "check here to install icon in the taskbar time tray"...so I unchecked it. The icon is gone and QuickTime is not blocking my Windows Media Player anymore...so that's solved. But I still have those 20 dormant (hopefully) QuickTime files sitting in my C: Drive taking up space...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
hey, that's good news!
well, I'm hornswaggled why you just couldn't go in and delete all the leftover QT files... maybe they're just there for that menu bar thingy?
glad things are looking up. I went to Harry Potter 2, which was great, much better than 1, and that's where I saw the trailer.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Well, etaoin, if you hear that QuickTime 6 is causing problems for other folks, please let us know...

Thanks for your help.

In the meantime, getting this thread back on track , here's the link for the LOTR Homepage:

http://lordoftherings.net

And would you believe I finally got around to seeing Harry Potter I this holiday weekend at my relatives' house?

And don't forget, if you have the SciFi Channel, a new Steven Spielberg original epic miniseries, Taken, about alien abduction, begins tomorrow (Monday) night (Dec. 2) at 9 pm EST. I loved what he did with Close Encounters of the Third Kind, so I'm looking forward to this!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith