Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#86528 11/12/02 04:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I goofed and put an "e" after the "d" where it does not belong

The evil that men do lives after them, Dr. Bill; the good is oft interred with their bones.

#86529 11/12/02 05:03 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Faldage: I have requested cremation, so that my bones will not be in turd.

#86530 11/14/02 10:47 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Didn't they used to use toxic heavy metals to treat syphilis?

Was the cadeuceus associated with Hermes or Mercury?

Honestly, I don't know what the connection is between medicine and any Roman or Greek god, but I have heard it suggested that the serpent on the staff might derive from the act of removing a guinea worm (Dracunculus medinensis) from a body by means of a stick. This might have been one of the common procedures carried out by early physicians. The worm is also called the "serpent worm," and the connection to the serpent on the cadeuceus seems obvious.

LINKS:

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/teodorcapraru/images/dractreatlube.jpg

http://drblayney.com/Asclepius.html#hermes Very interesting history of Hermes/Mercury and the cadeuceus vs the Staff of Asclepius. e.g.:
In reply to:

The probable medical origin of the single serpent around a rod: In ancient times infection by parasitic worms was common. The filarial worm Dracunculus medinensis aka "the fiery serpent", aka "the dragon of Medina" aka "the guinea worm" crawled around the victim's body, just under the skin. Physicians treated this infection by cutting a slit in the patient's skin, just in front of the worm's path. As the worm crawled out the cut, the physician carefully wound the pest around a stick until the entire animal had been removed. It is believed that because this type of infection was so common, physicians advertised their services by displaying a sign with the worm on a stick.

http://ucdnema.ucdavis.edu/imagemap/nemmap/ent156html/nemas/dracunculusmedinensis

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/pictures/dracunculus_3.gif (not for the squeamish)

#86531 11/14/02 11:29 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Alex - A very fine post. I did parasitology in Philippines, but have forgotten almost all
of it. The removal of the guinea worm had to be done very carefully. If the worm were broken,
very disaggreable sensitivity reaction ensued.

#86532 11/18/02 08:17 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Actually it kind of grosses me out to look at those pictures. It's hard to imagine living in a place where parasitic infections are common. There's something really revolting about parasites -- it seems much more personal than an infection by lower life forms.

#86533 11/18/02 11:37 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In WwII in the Philippines, in Parasitology Lab the biggest part of our workload was testing
stools of Filipinos who had appled for jobs as food handlers. Three out of every four had
one or more intestinal parasites, and many had three or even four. A black market in
parasite-free stools developed. Some mornings we got specimens that were obviously
one stool cut into four pieces. Despite my being very careful, I acquired a Ascaris infestation
and lost 40 pounds before I was able to get Rx. And I got it only by threatening to go see
Adjustant Gen. rep about penicillin being sold in black market. "Oh, well, if you're going to
be a sorehead!' The excuse was that it was needed for POW kids. They needed it, but so
did I. I could hardly walk up the three flights of twenty steps each going from chow tent to
my work area. At least I didn't get filariasis and beachball size scrotum. (I did assist at post
of a guy who disregarded signs and swam in water loaded with schistosomes.)

#86534 11/19/02 06:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It never quite goes away, does it?

#86535 11/19/02 02:29 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Giardia was so common in the absence of symptoms that in those days it was not
considered necessarily a pathogen.

Single-celled protozoan parasite. Pear- or beet-shaped, the cells have
two nuclei and eight flagella, and attach to human intestinal mucous
membrane with a sucking organ. They cause the disease giardiasis.
Generally spread by ingesting traces of human feces containing the
parasite, giardiasis is most common among children in close contact
with other children, but also occurs among adults. Diarrhea, pain, and
distension of the stomach may occur. It is common wherever there is
contamination of surface or domestic water in lakes, rivers, and
reservoirs, and is a major cause of diarrhea worldwide. Beaver feces
are often responsible for giardiasis among campers who take water
from lakes and rivers.

#86536 11/21/02 06:37 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Numbers 21 also contains a story about a snake on a pole-- God sent venomous snakes to punish the Israelites for complaining about everything, but relented when they repented. God instructed Moses to make a snake out of bronze and put it up on a pole, and those who were bitten could look at it and live.
Later in the Bible (2 Kings) it is mentioned that the people had saved the snake, named it Nehushtan* and were burning incense to it. King Hezekiah put a stop to that by breaking the snake into pieces.

*according to the footnote, Nehushtan sounds like the Hebrew for bronze and snake and unclean thing.

#86537 11/21/02 07:33 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Rapunzel: so good to see you posting again. I was afraid you had left us. Bill

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 676 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith