Page 2 of 2 1 2
#86303 11/12/02 02:24 PM
M
mph Offline
stranger
stranger
M
Way wayer!
Maybe its now been recycled having gone out of use for some time, but Mosh Pit is a term I remember from my youth (even though I never engaged in such activities myself!) and was in use in the UK in the '80s, and probably the '70s too.

#86304 11/12/02 05:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
As least as early as '79 here in Shytown!

#86305 11/12/02 08:00 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Yep, mosh pit's still in use in the UK, and though I've never been to one, I know quite a few who have - it's a place at the front of a relly loud rock concert where everybody pushes and shoves to get as far forwards as possible, in time to the music(well, sort of...)
Other 'in' words include: (As far as my experiences go, this is UK only)
boom! - cool/brilliant/amazing
heavy! - see above.
random - strange behaviour, changing the conversation to an irrelevant topic, anything unusual.
dodgy - applied to anything suspicious relating to people trying to cheat you or (usually) people/objects with apparently perverted intentions. (Euthemising furiously - e)
manky - horrble/disgusting/old/ugly (applied to inanimate objects.
crusty - see above.
boffin/boff - anyone who works hard at school/gets good grades/teacher's pet etc.
(you) div - stupid/idiot (usually a jokey, affectionate term)
bad/rude girls/boys - people who regulary get in trouble, say stuff like boom and heavy, are rude and spiteful to everyone. (group term, and they're proud of it!)
wicked - cool (less common)
cool - cool (still cool to say cool!)
well good/bad/ugly/nice - alternative to very or really.
shame! - hard to explain, it kinda means ha ha! Like, when someone does something wrong or are told off, spoken forcefully.
sad - often used to describe boffins
yeah man - agreement
like - this is, like, used all the time, like, but don't like, overdo it!
I hope you found this helpful, but beware: it's not cool for an adult to try to be cool... I wouldn't advise most, especially teachers, to use these words (with the exception of the more widely known ones) unless you are fully familliar with them and uset he rest of the lingo - or you may end up being labeled 'sad' or even, 'dodgy'!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and way is way out in the UK! (maybe except for surfers)
EDIT(2): Wayer was never in.

If the world doesn't suck, we'd all fall off.

#86306 11/12/02 08:29 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
A mosh pit is an area at the front of the crowd, a few rows back from the front row typically, where young males (mostly) engage in a form of dance that involves shoving and ramming, aka slam dancing. There is typically enough room for people to move around in a circle -- imagine a tornado of young men with shaved heads or mohawks -- and gain enough momentum to knock each other down. It's not for the faint at heart.

The crush of fans at a concert's front row isn't necessarily a mosh pit, although you can certainly get "mashed." I once saw the Minneapolis rock group The Replacements a club in Cincinnati called Bogart's. I was at the very front, and was pushed up against the wooden wall in front of me all night. By the end of the concert I felt like I had been in a sumo match with a hippo and lost. But the moshing going on behind me all night was far worse I'm sure.

#86307 11/13/02 03:00 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
In ska lingo, rude boy and rude girl refers to a ska fan, usually dressed in a certain way.

Here's a decent explanation (which I have not read all the way through yet) http://www.rootsworld.com/rw/feature/rudeboy.html

#86308 11/14/02 11:09 AM
D
addict
addict
D
We don't have rude boys in Manchester, we have:
townies- sportswear wearing and chain pub frequenting mass marketites
scallies- the dodgier version
yonners- people from Oldham ( a town in Greater Manchester)
gees- gangsters or wannabees, usually drug runners
crusties- new age travellers that don't go anywhere, often environmentalists and political activists
hippies- a catch all for the alternative scene, which breaks down into goths, skaters, surfers, indie kids, giggers, skate punks, industrial, party heads, squatters, fetish, retro, and the ketamine kids.
junglists- part of the jungle scene
ravers- part of the dance scene, commercial
students ( the lowest of the low)
the massive- the community
punks- you know what punks are
and straights- everyone else

#86309 11/14/02 11:30 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

#86310 11/14/02 09:41 PM
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
the jungle scene
What's that? Somehow I find it hard to conjure up images of a jungle in the middle of Manchester... then again, I've never been...

If the world doesn't suck, we'd all fall off.

#86311 11/14/02 10:04 PM
D
addict
addict
D
tis not really my deal so I'm not best qualified to explainhttp://www.junglist.com/html/whatisj.htm for a comprehensive overview
http://www.state51.co.uk/hottips/bhangle.html for some interesting and unexpected cultural fusion
http://www.geocities.com/streamingbits/junglist.html for a slang dictionary, getting back to the original point

M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Well, out here in the city of angels, the hottest music on the hip-hop stations is the posthumous release of (yet another) Tupac Shakur double cd, 'Better Daze'. And the cut that is getting all the airplay is the electric version of 'Thug Mansion'. If you really want to know where youth culture is heading, you might want to listen to this (better yet the acoustic version of it) and see how you feel. 'Thug life' may be easy enough for AWADies to ignore, but if you have children in your house, they're gonna be enveloped in these images....

Don't get me wrong. The harsh yet bittersweet acoustic version of this rap is my favorite song right now. Just reminds us how many different roads we all travel, and that there's no way to turn back the clock. My mother was mortified at my worship of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, but at the time, I had no idea why.... It seems I've survived....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith