Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
My computer seems to be suddenly self-destructing...first I started getting a barrage of returned mail I never sent (and it continues), now my desktop is all scrambled, and I guess I'm going down with the ship here because I can't find out what's going on or what virus it is fast enough, so if it gets my hard-drive before I can get it...I'm out of business. I'll see y'all sometime at the cyber café...think it's the Klecz, but who knows? Thought I scanned clean for that (sigh)

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I just tried my desktop, and I can't click on any of the jumbled icons to open or drag them...they scamper away from the cursor like one of those joke games...this must be some new weird one...right in time for Halloween...THIS IS NOT A JOKE...I wish.

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Here's what I received this morning from MailWatch Help Desk:

You recently sent a message containing a known virus -
W32/Klez.h@MM.

The message was sent on 10/25/2002 9:06:41 AM.
The subject of the message was:
"Returned mail--"Parking Text available""

The message was sent to the following recipient(s):
bbutric2@visteon.com

The virus was cleaned and the attachment forwarded to bbutric2@visteon.com.

No action is required on your part. Please note, however, that the detection of a virus in a message you sent may be an indication that your computer system has already been compromised by a virus.

It is STRONGLY recommended that you check your entire system to determine the extent of this viral infection.

(another alert I received yesterday indicated iit was the 'MIME Header Vulnerability', but I'm pretty sure it's the Klez...whatever it is, everyone on my address book should take action NOW!)

I downloaded the Symantec FixKlez but can't get the damn thing to open off my desktop. Meanwhile, I'm being slowly devoured. Help! What do I do?

veteran
veteran

Your best bet is to completely reformat and reinstall everything.

(If you can, boot from another drive, salvage what you can and then clean it.)

I've been doing email for over 20 years and never once caught a virus until about a year ago. Took me about 2 weeks to get completely fixed and still lost a lot of crap. I'm a fanatic about running the antivirus stuff now. (every night)

good luck...and don't waste your time .... just reformat and be done with it.

k

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks for your advice FF. Here's the prognosis and a re-alert to all who have corresponded with me since that Bugbear "hoax" (which, it seems, turns out to be a real virus, W32/Magistr.b@MM in clever disguise).

I installed the McAfee this morning and have been poring over this all day, and here's the sad news: I'm infected : 15 files, mostly W32/Magistr.b@MM, but there's a couple W32/Magistr.dam3 (which I can't find on any virus library or alert site). Two files cleaned, one quarantined, but the others won't clean OR quarantine (the suggestion is to delete but I'm not sure what the files are so I don't want to just delete them, but I can't leave them there either, can I?)...when I click "quarantine' for the others all I get is "delete error". And there's one damn "Flyswat" file which came with the computer that I never installed or opened that's infected and it won't clean, quarantine, OR delete (I figured I could just get rid of it). So now what the hell do I do with that one?
Evidently, the Magistr hoax on the back of Bugbear a couple weeks ago was a cleverly disguised non-hoax, I guess. This virus is passed through e-mail on familiar addresses, so anyone who's been corresponding with me since that hoax, in either e-mail or IM, should get on this thing immediately...I'm sorry if I passed it along, I had no way of knowing...but I'm secure now and in the future. Here's the treatment page for W32/Magistr.b@MM I finally found at a McAfee site...the other .dam3 variation seems to be untraceable:

http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/viruses/magistr/

I guess, Fallible, your solution is looking more imminent.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 471 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith