Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#84481 10/31/02 03:34 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Let us remember that there are other forms of precipitation, especially in chemistry,
We get sugar by boiling off water from syrup. Confectioners sugar results from rapid
precipitation, and larger crystals from slower precipitation.
Many useful products from precipitation in various types of brine. And slow precipitation
is the typical means of purifying many imortant chemicals and medications, because the
formation of crystals excludes impurities.

#84482 10/31/02 04:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ask a body builder [grin]

TEd
#84483 10/31/02 04:48 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Impolite to stare at rods, TEd/

#84484 10/31/02 11:12 PM
C
C
...and appropriate for this holiday (Oct 31st) season:

I work part time in a gym that has a gorgeous Olympic-sized HEATED swimming pool. Every once in a while, the heat will go out in the room housing the pool (Yes, I know, "natatorium," but some of the muscleheads I deal with barely understand the concept of "swimming pool") but the water heater will continue to function. If this occurs on a cold winter's day, a very thick and spooky fog will form over the water and surrounding deck area to a depth of up to two feet. When this happens, we rename the pool "Lake Transylvania" and the skinny-dippers have a field day!

#84485 04/03/03 01:45 PM
B
stranger
stranger
B
My mother referred to a heavy snowfall as a "fanny-dragger."

#84486 04/04/03 12:30 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I grew up differentiating between a mizzle and the lighter Scotch mist which, when you first walk outside, feels like champagne bubbles against your face. A mizzle just feels wet but without the wonderful sound of raindrops.

When my mother moved from the praries her family laughed at her for saying that the rain "isn't as wet" on the coast. But it's true, the clouds have all day so they don't dump everything at once.

#84487 04/04/03 12:34 AM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
PS Beanie, I presume you're North American as I understand that phrase could have a quite different meaning elsewhere.

#84488 04/04/03 02:21 PM
old hand
old hand
In reply to:

An older expression that I haven't heard for years is "It's raining pitchforks."

When I first moved to Oregon some years ago, I heard the phrase: "it's raining pitchforks and n*gger babies." Let me tell you, I was outraged and gave the person who said that a scolding!!

He was a man in his late 60's and just didn't understand why I thought it was wrong.

#84489 04/04/03 04:10 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Okay, three things: CB, my father and his brothers used that expression, too. [distate e]; I have no idea what "other" meaning fanny-dragger could have; and, um, frankly it sounds funny to me to hear that "the clouds have all day". Under what circumstances would they NOT have all day?
Sorry to be so churlish, but I am away from home until the 6th., using my laptop. I am trying to keep in mind that I am lucky to be able to be on-line at all, but. The keyboard is different, it is much slower than my "real" computer, I'm using an el-cheapo service provider which means that ads pop up about every five minutes--I can tell one's coming because the keys suddenly quit working and I have to wait till the ad pops up, then close it; and it is too frustrating to deal with PM's: my laptop really cannot deal with loading my Check Private page. It takes about 20 minutes to download it, and another 10 to bring up the message. And twice already it has frozen up completely when I've tried to Check Private. Oh, and every half-hour there comes that lovely little box that says my service provider has detected no activity in the last 30 minutes(??), and they will shut me down in X number of seconds unless I click the little Resume button.

#84490 04/04/03 10:17 PM
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
RE: "the clouds have all day". Under what circumstances would they NOT have all day?

funny thing weather, we often think its the same every where, (and it is, in that it's always changing!)

but inland storms tend to be at the leading edge of fronts, (where the air pressure changes from high to low -- which is why a drop in barametric pressure is usually an indicator of a coming rain) and especially on the flat plains of North America (from texas to hudson bay!) these storms can be very fast moving...and very intense. it always seem that when they don't develop into tornado's, they instead dump huge amounts of rain, and cause flash floods.

but coastal areas, can get rain from off shore breezes, which carry moisture onto the land--and this rain, can come and go. I spent a week's vacation in Seattle, and it rained every day--and everyday was beautiful-- they rain rarely lasted more than a 1/2 hour, you ducked into a store, or better yet a starbucks, had a coffee, and when the rain stopped, you went on your way. an hour or two later, you need sunglasses, and sun screen... and then again, in the afternoon or evening, it was raining again...never very hard. just on and off showers..

Upstate NY (and parts of MI and other north east states) get this kind of weather all the time, and in the winter, they often get "lake effect snow". when the wind picks up, it speeds over the water, picking up moisture, and then as it hits land, it slows..the change in speed also causes a change in air pressure, and bingo, rain..(or snow).

which coast you are on also makes a difference, (since the jet stream tends move from the west to the east, (so the pacific north west has a rain forest, and New England just has forest) and mountains and other geographical features can also effect storms (and well as ocean currents like the gulf stream...)

I always think of there being 4 seasons, (spring, summer, autumn and winter) but many places have 2(wet and dry) and some have three (what they call the three seasons varries-sometimes wet,dry and winter, sometimes winter, mud and summer)

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith