#83626 10/15/02 05:42 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Years ago reading Yearbook of Agriculture, there was often
mention of soil type called "loess" but no background of term.
?
As glaciers advanced and retreated during the Pleistocene epoch, four ice ages ocurred. The Nebraskan, which was the first ice age, followed by the Kansan, the Illinoian, and the Wisconsin. During these ice ages, a very fine rock powder was produced by way of scouring the exposed rock as glaciation took place, that powder is known as rock flour or silt (http://www.isgs.uiuc.edu/tours/outliers/geogram5.htm). As the silt accumulated, it could be transported by the wind as the glacier retreated or by glacial outwash as the silt dried during which the climate changed from winter to spring.
As the warmer climate approached, the glacier would begin to melt, saturating the rock flour, which allowed it to be transported as sediment load in streams or rivers. As velocity of the stream decreased, either by the onset of winter or loss of slope angle, the sediment load would drop out and accumulate along the banks which produced a mud of very fine silt.
With the drying of the mud, the wind could now pick up the silt particles and transport them according to their size(http://www.isgs.uiuc.edu/tours/outliers/geogram5.htm). The coarser particles would drop out first, closer to the source and the fine particles would be the last to drop out, which would be farthest from the source.
In the midwest section of theUnited States, the Missouri River Flood Plain is the source of silt that winds transported eastward, into the flood plains. Accumulation of silt over many years produced landforms of various sizes and shapes. The main component of the landforms produced is called loess or as stated previously, the definition of loess is " A blanket deposit of buff-colored calcareous silt, homogeneous, nonstratified, weakly coherent, porous, and friable. A rude vertical parting allows it to stand in steep or vertical faces. Loess covers wide areas in northern Europe, eastern China , and the Mississippi Valley. It is considered to be windblown dust of Pleistocene age."( Bates and Jackson, 1984).
Three types of loess can be found throughout the midwestern states, the Loveland loess, the Pisgah loess, and the Peoria loess (http://pubs.usgs.gov/info-handout/loess/). Each loess having its own characteristics can be found intermixed with glacial till, alluvium, sand, and gravel.

#83627 10/15/02 06:04 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the yellow river in china, gets its name from the yellow loess soil that get washed into the river as silt.

when traveling cross country a few years ago, we (son and i) detoured to norther nebraska to visit car henge. (stone henge, recreated with car frames instead of stone monoliths)

i was rather impressed with the soil of nebraska. it was not at all the same as eastern soil.. it seemed like fine grey silt. my soil in my (last dying days) yard, is sandy, (given the all of long island is a giant sand bar) and years of composting and work, have improved it, but it is still sandy, well drained soil. but it is also dark, (well the first six inches, after that, a sandy layer, and finally, 12 to 15 inch down pure sand, suitable for mining-- the sand is a nice golden color.)

previously, i had a (house)yard with clayish soil. (again, years of work and composting had improved the texture, but it was pretty stiff clay, after you went down a bit.

by contrast, the soil in nebraska was almost white! i don't think i have ever seen loess. (but i have seen the red clay that is so predominant in the southern parts of US.)
We have a poster from the loveland area in ohio.. maybe he can tell us about the soil there abouts...
and do we have anyone here from peroria? or pisgah(where is that?!)

#83628 10/15/02 06:26 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Where is Pisgah? A good question. I found sites including
much of Appalachian area, but also from as far away as
California.
The original according to dictionary, is in Israel:
Pisgah
Heb pisga, lit., peak, summit6 Bible mountain ridge east of the N end of the Dead Sea: Deut. 3:27 See NEBO, Mount

#83629 10/15/02 06:34 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Or either try western North Carolina.

http://ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/Pisgah/

#83630 10/16/02 02:52 PM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
A second term I encountered in The Yearbook of Agriculture was "podzol", on of several
words of Russian origin. Here is URL with picture:
http://edu.suomussalmi.fi/lukio/globe/podsoli.htm

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 706 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith