Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#83556 10/14/02 09:05 PM
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
A Westford, Mass. company by the name of Captivate Network has discovered a new demographic to bombard with news and advertising: "vertical-ites"

The company discovered that high income Manhattanites spend "six minutes a day alone in an elevator". "That's 30 minutes a week, 26 hours a year -- longer than some New York romances", we are told.

Encouraged by its success in Manhattan, Captivate is bringing its elevator video screen service to 1,100 of the 1,700 best office towers in North America, including the former Arco building in downtown Los Angeles and the Sears Tower in Chicago. And there's even a new feature for AWADiphiles in transit between floors. Here's what Captivate's President has to say (as reported in today's LA Times).

"I tell my editors, 'Give people the 'Oh, wow factor,' " said Mike DiFranza, the president of Captivate. Which accounts for the "word of the day" feature. Thursday it was "ineffable," defined as "indescribable" and illustrated thus: "The chef adored the ineffable aroma of the Italian truffle." DiFranza does not see this bite or his "power poll" questions -- Would you be more productive with a midday nap? -- as an intrusion into the john-sized space of an elevator. (According to e-mailed responses to the nap question, 76% said yes and 9% said they already nap at their desk.)

Which leaves me wondering. How would most AWAD subscribers prefer to receive their "word a day"? Seated on the horizonal plane or verticalizing between floors?

#83557 10/15/02 03:51 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Seated on the horizonal plane or verticalizing between floors?

On an escalator.

#83558 10/16/02 11:19 AM
R
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
On an escalator
Good one, FishonaBike. I hadn't thought of that angle.

This is off-topic, but, as there isn't a lot of interest in this thread, perhaps no-one will mind. I see from your bio that when you are not fishing, you are cycling, and sometimes you are doing both. I cycle a bit myself and I wonder what you think about the new studies that link bicycling to impotence, and the new bicycle seats which have arrived on the market to address the problem.

According to an article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal (October 15th at page D1 entitled "Score One for the Couch Potatoes"), "The problem which can also occur with stationary bikes, is one of simple physics. ... When someone [yes, women are affected too] gets on a bicycle seat, the weight is distributed over a much smaller area [than when seated on a chair], increasing the pressure on the crotch by 5 or 6 times. A typical bike seat directs all that pressure against the perineum, the part of the body that contains the nerves and arteries to the the genitals. Women can also experience numbness and sexual dysfunction as a result." "To address the problem, a handful of seat makers have introduced nose-less, split-seat bike saddles which ... ease the pressure on the perineum and allow for normal blood flow to the genital area." Some names of the new bike saddles: "The BiSaddle", "The Milano", "The Seat from Ergo" and "The EasySeat" from Hobson.

Sounds like you do a lot of your cycling while treading water, Fishonabike, so perhaps buoyance relieves the pressure on your private parts. Any thoughts on this subject? My interest is genuine as I enjoy cycling myself ... altho I do most of my cycling on dry land.
[When you cycle "off road", you really! cycle "off road", dont't you? ]

#83559 10/16/02 11:53 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I must admit that my first re-action to the thought of a TV screen in a lift was one of enormous horror.

But seeing shona's lateral contribution reminded me of the peasure that I used to derive from looking at the adverts as I slowly descended into the bowels of London's Underground system.
I am aware that much of the pleasure depended on the nature of the adverts, about 60% of which extolled the glories of certain brands of corsetry, and my age - I was in my late teens to early twenties.
However, I did also take note of the other adverts as well, and didn't find the experience at all horrible. So maybe well-chosen advertisements would help to while away the minutes spent in verticallity.

And what a boon when the lift gets stuck.

#83560 10/16/02 01:46 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
new studies that link bicycling to impotence, and the new bicycle seats

Yeah, red, heard about potential links between cycling and impotence quite a while ago when, as it happens, I was cycling considerably more than at present. To be honest it never worried me and still doesn't. You're not in a fixed position (exerting pressure on a fixed point) while cycling - you're always moving. Also I find I'm rarely if ever putting my full weight on the seat. A lot of the time at least half my weight is on the pedals.

To the extent that you cycle a lot and actually find your bike seat uncomfortable, it's probably worth exploring the options. When you're first buying a bike, the type of seat must be a consideration, but at some stage when you've established a pattern of use you may reconsider your choice. I happen to have been perfectly happy (and have stuck with) the basic firmish gel seat that I started with a few years back.

But otherwise this looks suspiciously like a marketing ploy to me. Bikes (and even bike accessories) can last for many years if you buy reasonable quality kit and look after it properly. There are people who must really hate that.

#83561 10/16/02 01:59 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
maybe well-chosen advertisements would help to while away the minutes spent in verticality

Hmmm, nothing like as pleasant as looking at ads as you go down on an escalator, though (which I also have enjoyed ). Dunno, seems to me that descending on an escalator is best - otherwise you get the bottom of the ad first, which isn't usually the way it's designed to be read.
The lateral movement is also helpful, perhaps because reading is a lateral thing.

I can't see how the experience would translate to verticality.

#83562 10/16/02 05:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
as you go down on an escalator, though (which I also have enjoyed ).

yikes, I've heard about the mile-high club, but never the escalator club....

formerly known as etaoin...
#83563 10/16/02 07:03 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just one step at a time.

TEd
#83564 10/16/02 10:22 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
Just one step at a time

..but they feel like very big steps.

Imagine if Neil Armstrong had had an escalator:
"That's one sm - Ah."

#83565 10/17/02 06:28 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This all sounds as bad as Microsoft selling advertising space on the BSOD!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith