Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
guess

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
How many know the difference between a pig and a sow?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
this benign people have customs which are rooted in ignorance and superstition (veils worn indoors and in bed for reasons no Tuareg can remember, fanciful notions about the development of their young en ventre sa mere .... and who knows what else), they are hardly a model for any of us to emulate

Ties worn in warm weather for reasons no WASP can remember, fanciful notions about the determination of the sex of children ... and who knows what else...

M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
Ties worn in warm weather for reasons no WASP can remember ~ faldage

Well there is one Tuareg legend (not custom) that can be understood today, and if the people at the library hadn't demanded the return of their book I could give the legend's participants proper names.

But anyway...a folk tradition of the Tuareg says that their nation was founded by a great queen of fabulous wealth and great beauty who, like a reverse Moses, led the Tuareg people to their happy home in the desert.

A well known french archeologist found a large burial site of elaborate appointments in 1928. So elaborate in fact, that he proclaimed it The Tomb of the Tuareg's First Queen Mother. This discovery seemed to verify the real existence of the legendary Mother Queen and the story of the find was widely circulated in French newspapers.

Until it was discovered that the entire fable was the construction of a french novelist, who wrote a romantic novel set in the Sahara in 1902, and that no such Tuareg legend had existed until he wrote his novel.

The story of the wonderful founding Queen remains high on the long list of Tuareg legends even today.

(And I think I have also learned a useful lesson , henceforth I will think of the Tuareg's Queen when faldage cites his elaborate word-origin sources.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
... and who knows what else...

Yeah, benign... fanciful...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I will think of the Tuareg's Queen when faldage cites his elaborate word-origin sources

It's always good to have a bench-mark. You can rest assured that you'll never be infected by a computer virus because you've heard that the virus known as "It takes guts to say Jesus" is a hoax.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>You can rest assured that you'll never be infected by a >computer virus because you've heard that the virus known >as "It takes guts to say Jesus" is a hoax.

<exhales> the first time I scanned that (w/o the "s) I was holding my breath..

M
milum Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
M
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////
[The Sexist Pigism of Tuareg Women]
///////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

but i don't understand the title. why did you write it? ~ of troy

It may be that I just wanted to bring to everyone's fore mind that terms like "sexist pig" are epitaphs that are little more than name-calling, and that they only serve to reinforce simplistic thinking to the detriment of the shared goals of both woman and man.

Or it may be...

Like a pre-adolescent school boy I consider girls strange and all-too-serious creatures, and find it great sport to dip pigtails in inkwells whenever opportunity permits.

Or...

Hey! What's a title but a "grabber". Why write a post if nobody reads it? Sex! Pigs! False accusations! Its a wonder Steven Spielberg doesn't buy my title just for the movie rights.

Or...

(And this is the only reason for my incongruent title.)
I wanted to instigate a discussion of a major flaw of human discourse imposed by the mechanics of language.

All decisions made by men are always made for multiple reasons, but when our well-thought reasons are put into words or print, only one reason out of the many is usually expressed with words or with print.

I can certainly understand the practicality of this arrangement, and I can sadly appreciate the terrible misunderstandings that are caused by doing so.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ties worn in warm weather for reasons no WASP can remember

Here's a brief history of the necktie that indicates the WASPs stole it from the French who stole it from the Croats. LINGUISTIC NOTE: original word was the Croatian croatta changed to the French cravatte (I'd hate to think it was the Slavic race that gave the world the...yeech...necktie! [how'd that happen, shona? ])
But it also seems the progenitor of the necktie dates all the way back to ancient Egypt...so us Slavs are exonerated . Here's the link (still searching for the reason ties were first donned in the first place...it's been said that the wide ruffled collars of Sir Walter Raleigh's day were designed to prevent head lice from falling under the body garments, but since we're seeing tie-like neck adornments all the way back to antiquity, this may not be the initial reason, but could be):

http://www.shop-usa.info/Half_Windsor/TIE_HISTORY/tie_history.html

F
veteran
veteran
F
still searching for the reason ties were first donned in the first place..

How about as a means of protecting clothes in an area they are most prone to get dirty? Sort of a portable napkin/bib thing? It would be a sign of status if you could afford a number of these miniature smocky things, especially if they were (paradoxically) made in fine cloth.

At the other end of the social scale, workers used to wear neckerchiefs, which served a similar function to handkerchiefs (probably a later invention) - general clean-up cloth, mopping the brow, preventing sweat trickling down your neck, etc.

I'm scrabbling a bit, but bet bat's () in the right area.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith