Print Thread
#82920 10/05/02 08:15 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Has anybody ever heard of these?

A lady on a nature walk yesterday showed us where ant lion larvae hide--in sandy inverted cones about the size of an inverted anthill.

You can take a little bitty piece of twig--or a pine needle!--and stick it down into the cone and the little ant lion will bite the end of it if you can find it.

These larvae feed off of ants that crawl--unsuspectingly--down into what the ant thought was an ill-constructed anthill. [Yes, my imagination is taking some liberty here.]

That little ant lion is really a little angry lion temperamentally: it quickly chomps on that ant and eats it up.

I'm going a-googling to see what these little creatures look like once they're fully developed.

#82921 10/05/02 08:37 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Here's a URL about ant-lions. It's claimed there that ant-lions are European, but not according to the biology teacher who showed us an ant-lion inverted sandhill. You can clearly see these hills in the pictures on the URL:

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/neurop.htm#antlion

Edit: Additional information from a rather informal website--on it I read that ant-lions are referred to as "doodle bugs" in America. How American that does sound! Anyway, here's a quote from the site:

"Antlions are weak flyers as adults but are best known for the trap/pits the larvae, known as Doodlebugs in n. America dig and live in. The pits are dug in loose sand and as there name suggests there main food items are often ants. The larvae will interfere with any ant that looks like it might be getting out of the pit by flicking grains of sand at it to make it loose (sic) its footing and thus fall into the waiting larvae's jaws. There are about 2,000 species of antlions in the world."

http://www.earthlife.net/insects/neurop.html

#82922 10/05/02 08:45 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: I have fed ants to ant lions. I think they are related to the spiders.
Here is URL to some interesting pictures of insects, but their "ant lion" is not
the one I remember:http://www.gardensafari.net/english/locusts.htm

Here's another URL about ant lions
http://www.molluscan.com/forum/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID14/19.html

Here's URL with photo of ant lion in small sand pit:
http://www.magikcircle.com/birds/image.asp?title_id=311

#82923 10/05/02 09:10 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Ha, wwh! We crossed! You listed one of the URLs that I had--but the photographs there show just about everything you'd have to know to go out hunting antlions--not that you should remove them from their habitat, but it is fun watching one of 'em try to chomp off the end of a pine needle.

They're related to:

Owl flies.

Not that I know a daburn thing about owl flies.

And antlions full grown (you can see from the picture) look a little like dragonflies, but antlions are supposed to be not very skillful fliers according to what I read today.

They show their ferocity in their inverted hills which are referred to as pits--but I don't think pit is a good name for them--it doesn't seem to show the inverted cone nature of the way the hill looks.

#82924 10/05/02 10:03 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: the Ant lion larva that I used to think was some kind of spider has to find
sand similar to what would be used in an hour glass. I don't know how it makes the
conical pit, but it is out of sight in the bottom, until an ant makes the mistake of
taking a shortcut across pit. The ant lion senses the disturbance of the grains of
sand, and digs out slope below the ant, until ant falls down low enough the ant lion
can grab it and pull it out of sight to eat it. All you see is the surface of the sand
being mysteriously made for fall down the slope. I never had patience to stick around
to watch ant lion rebuild the steepness of the slope, which is critical, otherwise ant
could escape.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith