Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
veteran
veteran
F
Sheer coincidence, ephew

Nice ref site, 'clage. Meeting oneiric again was a pleasant surprise.

Not sure that threads veer solely toward "cooked or prepared food", mind.

#82871 10/24/02 03:39 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Certainly words in themselves are meaningless and functionless.
Like money.

It may be functionless, but it's fungible! (this for Dr Bill )

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
solely toward "cooked or prepared food"

Yeah, well, I was happy just finding any reference to a Greek root for food, I wasn't ready to be too picky.

#82873 10/25/02 01:50 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ahhhhh. Now I understand where musick is coming from!

In this case having *knowledge of history leaves you no better *prepared for the future.

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
having *knowledge of history leaves you no better *prepared for the future

Yes and no, Musick.
Philosohpically, I believe you are absolutely right, but not so much in practical terms.

Contrary to the "popular saying", history never repeats itself, nor would anyone really expect it to, if they thought hard about it. Each event has a different set of conditions - often, different people involved, and always, the world has changed since last time. Even the people, if the same, have changed to a greater or lesser extent. So, *to that extent, you cannot reliably predict any outcome.

However, when events are temporally close to each other, and the personnel and other conditions are 'constant', the likelihood of an identical outcome (or one so nearly identical as to not make a difference, in practical terms) is very greatly increased - possibly to the point where it is 'safe' to make a prediction.
(e.g., I bang my head on the wall. It hurts my head and doesn't dent the wall. If I repeat the experiment on the same place of the same wall within a few minutes, there is an overwhelming chance that it will still hurt my head and will still not dent the wall.)

#82875 10/25/02 09:12 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
e.g., I bang my head on the wall. It hurts my head and doesn't dent the wall. If I repeat the experiment on the same place of the same wall within a few minutes, there is an overwhelming chance that it will still hurt my head and will still not dent the wall.

Rhuby, this is as close to a perfectly clear and generally understandable description of reality as I ever expect to find.

Of course if you persisted in banging your head against the same place on the same wall, you'd probably start to acclimatise, and the wall would start to weaken. Eventually you would end up knocking a hole in the wall without hurting your head.
Thereby proving that long-term prediction (or deciding present consequences on the basis of ancient historical analogies) isn't such a good idea.
Or perhaps that we should never underestimate the stubborn eccentricity of our race.

"The fool who persists in his folly will become wise"
- but then again, he might just get lucky.

#82876 10/25/02 01:37 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Several years ago I was sitting in a pub in Ireland (drinking a non-alcoholoic beverage of course!) and I noticed a fellow down at the end of the bar who was rhythmically pounding himself on the head with a hammer. I asked the bartender what he was doing.

"And isn't he hitting himself over the head with a hammer?" responded the proprietor as he pulled a Guiness (I ALWAYS sit near the tap to cut down the time between beers).

"Yeah, I noticed that, but why?"

"And wouldn't it be because it feels so good when he stops?"

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...you would end up knocking a hole in the wall without hurting your head.

Anymore than you already have, of course.

-----------------

I've heard recently and am now trying to popularize the folllowing quote:

"Those who read history realize that they are repeating it". - ???

-----------------

BTW, Rub'Com', I was trying *hard to help CC assimilate my unpredictable, extra-terrestrial sponsorship...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"Those who read history realize that they are repeating it". - ???

Sounds like a squoz down version of my "those who do study history are condemned to realize they are repeating it."

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
From a book I read on vacation last week:

"[El Sordo] was not at all afraid of dying but he was angry at being on this hill which was only utilizable as a place to die... Dying was nothing and he had no picture of it or fear of it in his mind... Living was a hawk in the sky. Living was an earthen jar of water in the dust of the threshing with the grain flailed out and the chaff blowing. Living was a horse between your legs and a carbine under one leg and a hill and a valley and a stream with trees along it and the far side of the valley and the hills beyond."

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Earnest Hemingway, Chapter 27

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith