Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#8281 10/19/00 11:36 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
it's the undefined things that make us irresistibly scramble for definitions.

Never was a truer word spoken, wsieber!

The fact that, by definition, we can never eff the ineffable doesn't stop us trying.

And (thank <ineffable>) it never will.

#8282 10/19/00 11:50 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
it's the undefined things that make us irresistibly scramble for definitions.

True! I always want to know, in concrete terms, what everything is! For example, energy. I know it is a
"force", but--what is it??? I want to be able to touch it, to see it, to view it in its smallest, most precise, basic state of being. I want to know if it has an
odor, and whether I can hear it. And speaking of odor--how is it, exactly, that we can smell things? Do molecules of something delicious baking in the oven somehow slip out the openings and get drawn into our nostrils? Oh, I want to know!

B
stranger
stranger
B
I tried to find an antonym for onomatopoeia and the only reference I could find on the web was this thread, which appears to have ended 8 years ago without a clear resolution. How could I not join a group of people who actually care about such things??? I feel the need to have such a word in our wonderful language. So, although I'm not particularly knowledgeable about greek and latin roots, I'll offer some suggestions and hope that others out there still care about this and we can come to a consensus and turn this figment into a real word.

I took the issues Scott raised as my starting points. So, my first premise about this word is that it should describe a word that sounds like what it doesn't mean (or more specifically like the opposite of what it means), rather than one that doesn't sound like what it means. The latter probably encompasses most words, and so it is less useful.

My second premise is that although it need not come from the same etymological roots, it would be helpful if it did in order to facilitate its incorporation into the language.

My third premise was that although it would be rich if it were an example of itself, it would not be helpful in incorporating it into the language. Also, if it were an example of onomatopoeia, that would not only facilitate incorporation, but would also be a delicious irony, since I don't think onomatopoeia is an example of itself.

Here are the roots I worked with:
anto, ante, counter, contra = opposite or against
son, phon/o = sound
nom, onoma, onym = name

And here are the resulting word ideas all in noun form only:

1. Antosonym or antesonym
2. Antosonoma or antesonoma
3. Antosonomoeia or antesonomoeia

4. Contrasonym or countersonym
5. Contrasonoma or countersonoma
6. Contrasonomoeia or countersonomoeia

7. Antophonym or antephonym
8. Antophonoma or antephonoma
9. Antophonomoeia or antephonomoeia

10. Contraphonym or counterphonym
11. Contraphonoma or counterphonoma
12. Contraphonomeia or counterphonomeia

OK, now my brain hurts.

All best,
Barbara

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 437 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith