About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
#82448 10/03/02 09:36 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Re:They slept, outside of the time they were busy servicing the male, from sundown to sun up.

Milo world must be an interesting place...

in most of the stuff i have read about what is left of hunter/gather societies, woman are responsible for providing 70 to 80% of the calories consumed by the group... the hunter's meat add a nice chunk of fat and consentrated protein, but day in day out, its the men that lie arround sleeping, and the women that are tending the fires and doing all the work..

still, if that how you see the world, perhaps you are interested in a companion? i wouldn't mind the job of sleeping (and sneezing in the morning).

F
veteran
veteran
F
sundown....sunup

I feel a transpondialism coming on.

Is there a difference in meaning between:
sundown and sunset
and
sunup and sunrise ?

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
for me, sundown and sun( )up refer only to the time, whereas sunset and sunrise refer to the phenomena or the time

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I think of "sunrise" as being either the general time when the sun is rising (aka dawn), and the specific moment when the sun is visible at the horizon ("sunrise will be at 6:14 AM according to the almanac"). Same for sunset and dusk.

Sundowning is an interesting word. It describes the onset of confusion or dementia associated with the fall of night. It is often seen in older patients in the hospital who are perfectly fine all day but at night become confused or agitated.

M
old hand
old hand
M
Red sails in the suuuunn sseeet
way out on the sea

So right you really are, Boronia, romantic and not concerned with the tyranny of time.

Now lets try spelling,... type "sun up". Now enter it into Anu's hand cranked spell check machine called by some folk "Erotica". See. that spelling is acceptable.

Now enter "sunup". Wow! The Red letters literally scream your ineptness and you cower in wrongness and in shame.

But, big folk, I have asked a former Grand Dragon Maven of the former Klu, (triple K), Klux Klan, this question - What is now the acceptable usage in the modern south of the word "sunup"?. and she, the ageing Lily Mae Caldwell of the venerable Birmingham News, said...

"Do not use " sunup". That is easily confused with "shutup". We in the south are mindful of such inarticulations."

Now, Kiddo's, anybody want to confront Lily Mae?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
She would also say you shouldn't have a Klu. It's Ku Klix Klan.

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's Ku Klix Klan.

An important lesson in nitpickery, young Master Remington; when picking another's nits be sure not to introduce one of your own.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
[url]http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=miscellany&Number=83213

TEd
#82456 10/14/02 12:27 AM
R
stranger
stranger
R
Q.: Is it possible to sneeze with your eyes open? Why or why not?
- Jessica

A.: Yes, but not without the aid of some object, like a finger. A sneeze is a complex bodily reflex, and the nerves in your eyes are attached to the same ones as the rest of your face. So when you sneeze, an impulse is also sent to your eyes causing them to shut.
Q and A from "Stump Me".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's Ku Klix Klan.

Ah, yes, that'd be the well-known Mississippi Tupperware Chapter. They wear plastic bedsheets with snap-on hoods.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith