Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#82366 10/03/02 01:42 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
playing Beatles records backwards

I roared!

Hm. What happens if you say directment backwards? Maybe you feel an uncontrollable urge to put on a pair of bell bottoms. Hang on, let's see....

tnemtcerid

ack ack, pass the bell bottoms, I need a lava lamp, where's the black light and my poster of Jim Morrison?

If you can't see the bright side, polish the dull side.

#82367 10/03/02 02:20 AM
old hand
old hand
Yes, Jo. "If it's not Scottish, it's CRRRRRRRAP!" - Mike Myers in So I Married an Axe Murderer. Same film where he pitched a fit about how huge the kid's head was... pretty funny in an "I feel myself getting dumber by the moment" kinda way...

#82368 10/03/02 06:15 PM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Dear Fishonabike,

I trust your day went well. First I must apologize for saying that I would make of you "mincemeat". As of troy pointed out, that would be impossible, cookerarily speaking, and figuratively speaking impossible because of your keen wit and great intellect.

Further, this post is better used in thanking you for your two suggestions of words to replace the bastard word "directment". It pains me, however, to report that my troublesome quirk of excessive intellectual honesty forbids the use of your two fine words. May I explain...

The clumsy word "directment" was suggested to me by the "Trouble maker" of my psyche. I was writing a sentence designed to annoy the non-usa 'uns on the board (all in good fun, of course) and when I needed a word to express, in exaggerated form, the role of the US as top banana in styles and trends "Troublemaker" suggested "directment".

At the time the word sounded good, action turned into a quality, yes, more concrete, more forceful. Just what I was looking for; the US directing all the other countries on how to proceed. I liked it. Sorta like ordering everybody around. And what the hell, I thought, the germans noun words all the time.

Later all hell broke loose, and I began considering the substitution of your words...

[proponent]
at first glance this looks good, but look again...all rah-rah and no action, nothing like directing.

[propellant]
Great, I thought. But no, a propellant is a fuel, in other words, something that you draw from, rather than something that orders. Not at all like directing.

And so now me and Troublemaker sit here unloved, while the entire english speaking world waits in vain and without a viable substitute for the word directment.

Thanks for listening Fish, and I know that I won't be presumptuous if I take the liberty of thanking you on behalf of all of the First-string A-teamers on this board for your delightful participation. Your kind intelligent wit was returned to this forum when it was sorely needed. Your calm charm, repartee and your kindness directed us all to follow your example. And now, we would all like to say...
Fishonabike, thank you for being our directment.

___[/] **********************************[\]___

#82369 10/03/02 08:04 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

And so now me and Troublemaker sit here unloved...

Mais non, Monsier milum. L'amour vole tout autour de vous aiment le bluebird du bonheur.

Bird regards,
WordWing

#82370 10/03/02 08:29 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
In reply to:

Yes, Jo. "If it's not Scottish, it's CRRRRRRRAP!" - Mike Myers in So I Married an Axe Murderer. Same film where he pitched a fit about how huge the kid's head was... pretty funny in an "I feel myself getting dumber by the moment" kinda way...

Thanks to Fiberbabe for explicating my quip. It really heightens the humor... Now go and kiss your mother before I kick your teeth in.

That kid's head's like Sputnik. Spherical but quite pointy in parts. Oh, that was a harsh one, wasn't it? He'll be cryin himself to sleep tonite on his huge pilla'

#82371 10/07/02 12:18 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
I stand (or tread water) corrected, Mr M.
You see, in the following sentence:

thank you for being our directment

- you mean something quite different to proponent. It's more like "guiding star", "inspiration", or "shining example". And then, these positive interpretations are only apt because of the initial "thank you". Strip away good and bad values and it's hard to find an alternative to your coinage.

Oh no!

#82372 10/07/02 02:41 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Myself and what 's left of Humpty D. are glad our energies were envolved in redirectment during this escapade.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith