Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#82346 09/30/02 11:38 PM
J
Julian Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
In another post, someone used the word "directment", saying something like, "The US is the leading directment of the idea that . . . ". I cannot find the word in any of my dictionaries. What does it mean, please?

#82347 10/01/02 09:40 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Dear Julian, Hi! -

When speaking or writing have you ever searched for that one word that would perfectly convey the spirit and meaning of your thoughts and no other word would do? Well in the context of its usage "directment" was one of those words.

It is not surprising that you couldn't find "directment" in any dictionary. "Directment" is a "nonce word", a word of the moment, a word created to fill a need. A word that swims toward the future like a wiggle-tail male sperm cell hoping against hope to be fruitful and multiply until maybe one distant day the word "directment" will be the every other word out of everyone's mouth. Unfortunately, although many start out, few reach the egg.

Are all words then recorded in dictionaries? Of course not. Well then what determines that a word is a word?
Well on this board the rule of thumb is that a word becomes a word when Faldage says it is and uses it in a complete sentence.

We use to have another rule of thumb, tsuwm's rule of thumb. But paradoxically we found out that in order for a word to be so useless as to gain recognition on tswum's "Worthless Word of the Day" website it had to be recognized as being important enough to haven been put into someone's dictionary. This confused everybody, so now we just ask Faldage. Is this clear?

Directment: n. that which directs.
usage example. England* is the leading directment of the effete posture that...

Note: (*) = Post Edit to reflect a mouvement de retro that whines to carve the tired old terms of yesterday into the new bark of today.

#82348 10/01/02 09:45 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
when Faldage says it is and uses it in a complete sentence.

Ha! The very idea! A complete sentence indeed! Harrumph!®

#82349 10/01/02 11:15 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
The US is the leading directment of the idea that..

Yuk bloody yuk!

What's wrong with, say, "proponent"?
Or "propellent", at that.

A word that swims toward the future like a wiggle-tail male sperm cell hoping against hope to be fruitful and multiply until maybe one distant day the word "directment" will be the every other word out of everyone's mouth. Unfortunately, although many start out, few reach the egg.

Very good, Mr M.

#82350 10/01/02 01:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>What's wrong with, say, "proponent"?

prolly got mislaid in a cave somewhere..

#82351 10/01/02 01:22 PM
old hand
old hand
Dear Milum,
Sorry to temporarily join the nitpickers club, but I suspect that leading directment, for all that it's worth, amounts to a schoolbook example of a pleonasm.

#82352 10/01/02 01:30 PM
A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I agree that proponent is a perfectly good word and that directment is crrrrap[/Scottish brogue].

#82353 10/02/02 01:33 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
In reply to:

although many start out, few reach the egg.

Milo's elegant screed, particularly the quoted part, brings to mind the remark of Charlie Chan, or some other apochryphal Chinese, "Many man smoke but Fu Manchu."

#82354 10/02/02 07:36 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>is crrrrap[/Scottish brogue]

I've heard that before - it is from a film or summat?

#82355 10/02/02 10:29 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Now see what you gone and done Julian, you've woke up the big dogs what was sleeping under the porch and they don't cotton to no strange notions. Believe me, compared to ruckus this bunch of egg-sucking hounds can raise the bloody Spanish Inquisition was a mere tea party, a quiet tete a tete between the Parson and the Choir Director having a little chat about whether the word "wretch" should be included in the hymn Amazing Grace.

But mistake it not Julian, this snarling pack of ankle- nipers are not your usual knee-jerks. They are bonded only by their distaste of the innovative and new, and by the fact that they all learned most of what they know about language by playing Beatles records backwards when they were kids.

Now I must enter the fray and I may not come back. Or worse, I could come back as one of them, a zombie, a robot, mindlessly singing Beatles songs backwards and wearing bell-bottom pants. But go I must. I do this for you Julian, and for a thousand Julians yet to come. Together we confront the old ways of the dim dusty past and march bravely into the shining new world that awaits just ahead.

You first Faldage. Didn't you read all that good stuff I wrote about you, you know, about you being the final arbiter of usage and other stuff? Yeah, yeah, I know you didn't say anything bad. Yours is the sin of omission.
Straighten up. You know as well as I do that if you say "directment" over and over and over, pretty soon it begins to sound natural and you'll begin to use it often to impress your friends.
You are on probation.

(Coming Next Post: Milo Makes Mincemeat Out Of Fishonabike - The Nicest Man In England.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,322
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 466 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith