About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I just read a story in the newspaper about some people fleeing arrest who "T-boned" another automobile. I'd seen it before, but it got me to wondering if it's in common use. Also, how about in other parts of world where the main language is English? If I say, We T-boned them but no one was hurt" would you know what I meant?

Also, any other words out there that are nouns or adjectives that have been verbed with a pretty much entirely different meaning from the original word?

TEd

TEd
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I wouldn't bet my rump on it, but I think I can figure out the meaning from the expression. Never heard it before.
edit: I just read Faldage's response. He's right. I wouldn't have a clue what it meant without the car context.

Good general question; should generate lots of responses!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd think I'd need a little more context than just, "we t-boned them, but nobody was hurt". Hard to say given I had the fuller context of the original.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mercy yes, I'd know--it's in very common use, here. Interesting, though, that the expression for striking another vehicle broadside does not refer to the steak of the same sobriquet (er, can that expression apply to an object?), but to the shape created by the collision.
It would be more logical, wouldn't it, for the driver to say, "I T'd the other guy"?

There's another expression for driving, called 'threading the needle': when you are in the middle lane between at least two others, and pass ahead of two vehicles, one on either side of you. Is this what is also known as slingshoting?

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
I would recognize immediately what the speaker meant. To "T-bone" another auto is to strike it at a 90 degree angle, i.e. broadside, such as when a person runs a red light and hits a car going through the intersection. BTW this is often fatal for the person in the car that is struck if enough speed is involved, as a result of injuries to the neck and brain.

#82021 09/27/02 07:51 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
To "T-bone" another

An analogous expression from naval warfare was described in Michener's Space (and other places, I'm sure): "crossing the enemy's T." It means taking your ships in a straight line perpendicular to and in front of your foe's line of ships, so that you can fire all your guns at the same time converging on the enemy ships, while their return fire has to be spread out and thus attenuated...

#82022 09/27/02 08:37 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>when you are in the middle lane between at least two others, and pass ahead of two vehicles, one on either side of you. Is this what is also known as slingshoting?

Here it is known as illegal. We don't have freeways, the slowest traffic is in the left hand lane and the right hand lane is for overtaking only, so of course .. it just doesn't happen ...

#82023 09/27/02 08:45 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Seems there's a racing expression: A driver is sandbagging.

I think that means that a driver in qualifying laps or maybe early in a long race doesn't show his true stuff. Then later in the race, he turns it on...shows his real power. People say he was sandbagging during qualifying or maybe during the early laps.

Please correct me if I've gotten this all wrong.

#82024 09/27/02 09:23 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
sandbagging is widely used in sports where it may be advantageous to hide your true skills until an appropriate moment, such as when a wager has been raised -- I've heard it used in bowling and golf and billiards. the betting aspect is actually a clue to its gaming origin, which is poker:

The specific "hang back" or "slack off" sense of "sandbag" you're wondering about comes from poker, where it originally described a player who held off raising the stakes in order to lull the other players into a false sense of security. The poker sandbagger would pounce late in the game, clobbering the other players with his good hand. More generally, "sandbag" has come to mean to under perform any task in order to gain some advantage.
-The Word Detective

the reference to "clobbering" gets at the ultimate origin, which is the use of a sock filled with sand to strike someone, the object of this being to inflict pain without leaving a mark.

#82025 09/27/02 09:32 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
slingshotting - Passing a car by first drafting to conserve power, then suddenly moving out of the slipstream and using the reserve power. [Auto Racing Glossary]

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 444 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith