Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
So we have three verbs, at least, that mean for troops to stay somewhere:

billet
canton
bivouac

...course there's "to camp" or "to camp out"....

But I suppose billet, bivouac, and canton are military references.

#81772 09/25/02 04:46 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
military references

We civilians also use billet. When I was in high school and we went to, say, a basketball tournament far enough away that we would have to spend the night, we would be billeted out (stayed at private residences of people in the community) and the place you stayed at was your billet.

Having written the word billet too many times it now looks like a nonsense word.

#81773 09/26/02 09:38 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
I used to have a real Action Man (not one of the new batch, recreated for much younger kids, that you can't even dress [/rant]) who had a "bivouac". It was basically a canvas sleeping bag thingy with a built-in anorak hood.

That implies that "to bivouac" should mean to adopt a very temporary form of shelter, effectively sleeping on the move.

#81774 09/26/02 10:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
From this
dictionary: http://humanities.uchicago.edu/forms_unrest/webster.form.html
Canton (Page: 212)
Can"ton, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Cantoned ; p. pr. & vb. n. Cantoning.]
[Cf.
F.cantonner.]
1. To divide into small parts or districts; to mark off or separate, as
a distinct portion or division.
They canton out themselves a little Goshen in the intellectual
world. Locke.
2. (Mil.) To allot separate quarters to, as to different parts or
divisions of an army or body of troops.

Ed. note: Although AHD on line recognizes the verb canton in its etymology of cantonment and supplies a hyperlink to the entry for canton, it does not recognize the verb form in the hyperlinked entry. B&M AHD does recognize the verb.

#81775 09/26/02 11:39 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In reply to:

They canton out themselves a little Goshen in the intellectual
world. Locke.

...Terrific! I love this quote!

#81776 09/26/02 01:27 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I agree with you, TEd R. Been ages since I heard the term. My recollection is that a contonment was an area set apart in a larger area for use by a special group. For instance : on a permanent military base - and area of a couple of buildings, mess hall etc., for use by Special Forces which are technically part of the whole but in a practical sense operate as a separate unit.
I've also heard it used to mean a separate area for combatants, totally self-sufficient - set up within or abuting a larger, less organized area usually of civilians.
When we were stationed in the Philippines (1967-68) there were a number of off-base housing areas owned by Philippinos which were approved for occupation (rental housing) by the military. They were often called cantonments. Now, they are all covered in ashes from the eruption of Pinatubo, or so I am advised.

#81777 09/27/02 07:12 AM
D
addict
addict
D

J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
I remember the term bivouac from my rock climbing days, frequently shortened to bivvy
http://www.backpacker.com/gear/article/0,1023,2261,00.html - similar UK and Oz sites

I also saw sites that indicated that anglers seem to use the term for a tent. They would therefore be able to have a bevvy in their bivvy.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=bevvy*1+0

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Interesting that these words get confused. I've never heard of "canton" being used as a verb. However, "cantonment" was frequently used in the British army in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, usually as somewhere that an army would stay for some time, for instance when they were on picket on a border or during a longer lull in the fighting or during the winter. George Washington referred to the Continental army being in cantonments for the winter after what, Valley Forge? It was about the same time that the newly-fledged American government first learned that price ceilings on the staples necessary to feed an army don't work, a lesson they've had to relearn every generation since!

The term "bivouac", on the other hand was used to refer to a makeshift encampment created in a hurry when the army was on the move. This is the source of its modern usage in hiking/tramping and mountaineering. When you're climbing and intend to be out overnight and are unlikely to be able to pitch a tent, you take a large double-skinned goretex bag with you, called a bivvy bag. It usually has ropes attached to it which you can secure to screws or pitons set into ice or rock to secure yourself to the mountain. You generally get into your sleeping bag in a semi-seated or reclining position on a ledge and stuff yourself inside the bivvy bag as best you can. It's temporary and usually done in a hurry, hence the term "bivvy (bivouac) bag". It's also usually damnably uncomfortable, but that's another story!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,318
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,535
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith