Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I take the Scousers' "...like" to be equivalent to the Southerners' "...know what I mean?". But then I suppose you could say "...know what I mean, like?"

dxb.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'll be watching for when this "elevation" appears in grammar textbooks. Language does indeed march on.
I can't help but feel that there is a strong usage similarity between the end-of-sentence "Liverpudlian "like" as demonstrated by the Beatles in their day, like", and the Canadian "eh". FWIW, I don't think this "like" is used at all in the same way as the article states.

Speaking of end-of-sentence add-ons: don't the French often say, "non?" at the ends of statements? Are there other languages/cultures that do this? In a quick-think about why, I guess ... that we are seeking to establish whether the listener a.) understands what we are saying, and/or b.) agrees with us.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
That sort of rising inflection or period questioning is also a way to elicit from the listener an affirmation of their attnetion. For example, on the "South Park" animated show, the schoolteacher who is frequently saying "mmkay?" Now kids, drugs are bad, mmkay?"

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
What about the British "what" at the end of the sentence, what? Is that now an anachronism, or is it still in use in certain regions or dialects? Or is is more of a Hollywood affectation, what?

S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>That sort of rising inflection

ends almost every utterance out of Zildian mouths, a very confusing pattern for bottomworlders when first they hear it.

D
dxb Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
What about the British "what" at the end of the sentence, what? Is that now an anachronism, or is it still in use in certain regions or dialects? Or is is more of a Hollywood affectation, what?

I believe it went out with the monocle! But I am ready to be corrected, there may be some recluses in Budleigh Salterton who still use it in between writing to the Times, what, what? Not sure if it was meant to be followed by a question mark, it was strictly rhetorical after all.

dxb.

#80964 09/24/02 12:26 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There's a slip of paper in my Junk Drawer MemoryŽ with a note scribbled on it that says (the note, not the slip of paper) it's wot not what and it's a part of the verb wittan, to know (as a fact, not as a person; that'd be kennan). Nothing on the note to suggest that this WDIŠ is either confirmed or denied.

#80965 09/24/02 09:10 PM
F
veteran
veteran
F
it's a part of the verb wittan, to know

Another slightly dated sentence-ending comes to my mind, y'know?

I suppose "right" and/or "yeah" can function a bit like the Scouser "like" for non-scousers.

I was walking down the road, right, when I tripped over a manhole cover, y'know, and went arse over tit into a plate glass window, yeah? Like they have in a jeweller's.
Anyway...
There was I, diggin' this 'ole, 'ole in the ground
It was big an' sort o' round it was
An' there was I, diggin' it deep
It was round at the bottom and the sides were steep....
[strolls off whistling-e]

#80966 09/24/02 11:39 PM
W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
You were quite right, W'ON, I should have PMd modestgoddess about her slogan. [And I have. I have asked her politely to lose it, more for her own sake than for ours as it exposes her to painful and undeserved self-ridicule.] As for Capital Kiwi, he was abusing his privileges on the board by stalking wwh from thread to thread with deliberately offensive remarks. Whatever provocation wwh may have offered CapitalK in the past, that is no excuse for him to contaminate the atmosphere for others. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways with MG.

#80967 09/25/02 12:13 AM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
In reply to:

As for Capital Kiwi, he was abusing his privileges on the board by stalking wwh from thread to thread with deliberately offensive remarks. Whatever provocation wwh may have offered CapitalK in the past, that is no excuse for him to contaminate the atmosphere for others.

The above, of course, completely ignores the reality, that it was simply banter between friendy acquaintances of long standing. Dr. Bill has himself engaged in making such remarks about others with whom he gets on well. To publicly berate someone's actions without a full understanding of the nature of those actions is counterproductive, and carries more than a whiff of hubris.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,317
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 727 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,534
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith