Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
#80473 09/16/02 12:03 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Like, whatever.

You say a lot of humorous things, Dr. Bill, and those two words may be the funniest you've ever posted here.

TEd
#80474 09/16/02 12:34 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The prescriptivist fallacy is that what the descriptivists describe has no rules.

#80475 09/16/02 01:20 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Like, whatever. ~ Dr Bill

You say a lot of humorous things, Dr. Bill, and those two words may be the funniest you've ever posted here. ~ TEd

Like, you know, I agree TEddy-O, it's just a loud crying shame that the good doc said them cool words the one, single, onliest time that Faldage was absolutely right. -> <- mw

#80476 09/16/02 10:49 AM
veteran
veteran

"And if Dubya's been idificated and still does it it's a sign of stupidity."

Maybe. "Educated" people tried for years to get me to change my ignorant habit of referring to my home town as Loo-uh-vul. It never worked. They gave all kinds of hints that I wasn't quite up to snuff, but none of them ever had the guts to say it to my face. More to the point, while one of my best friends, a truly brilliant fellow, knows the one and only correct pronunciation and nevertheless insists on saying noo-cyu-lar, it wouldn't even occur to me to think of him as either ignorant or stupid.

http://wingedsphere.com/ftv/ftv_home.htm Dean Z is the short-haired guy on the left. I'd like to educate him - I only wish I were qualified.

All of this is not of course to say that I don't feel a bit jealous that the Brits have someone so articulate, sincere, thoughtful, and, well, just plain smart, as Tony Blair.

"Ignorance can be cured, stupidity goes all the way to the bone."

I've heard that too. In fact, I don't think ignorance is such a bad thing at all, as everyone I've ever met possessed it to some degree. I'm not sure how it ever became a put-down.

k

#80477 09/16/02 11:53 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Prescriptivism, descriptivism, piss-against-the-wallitism...

Dubya sounds like a dunce saying nukyooler.

I had a principal long ago who always said, "pacific" instead of "specific." He was a really sweet guy--and we teachers used to chuckle everytime he said "pacific" meaning "specific." I doubt any of us would have corrected him because of the big fish/small pond environment. Besides, we liked him.

But with Dubya it's different. Very big fish; very big pond...memories of someone out there having misspelled the very basic potato.

And it ain't a big deal to learn how to pronounce nuclear. Hasn't each of us here thought some word somewhere was pronounced a certain way only to learn later we were incorrect? And was it a big deal to plug in the correct pronunication? No. No big deal. But everytime Dubya gets in front of a TV camera, he's reaching a huge audience--and his nukyooler falls upon the ears of either wincing know-better's or innocents who might imitate him. If he doesn't care about refining his use of the language, then he sets no example. He shows that sloppiness is tolerable, he shows that there is no need to be curious about the progression of the language, he shows that there is no need to improve one's command of the language, and he makes me (a guppy in a shot glass) just plain mad.

#80478 09/16/02 01:05 PM
S
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Amen, Theresa! Descriptivism may have its defenders, but it can be a slippery slope.
"Now heaven knows
Anything goes."
~~Cole Porter

#80479 09/16/02 01:27 PM
veteran
veteran
My understanding is that Quayle was given a flashcard with a misspelled word on it. Why isn't anyone making fun of teachers (who presumably made the card in the first place)? At best, it's only a half-truth. This story goes in the same category as the one about Gore claiming he invented the Internet.

It would be nice if all of our statesmen were linguaphiles, but so far as I'm aware it's not a prerequisite for the position. Moreover, a person can be very well aware of "THE correct" pronunciation and neverthess feel that the word sounds funny and unnatural when said that way.

I'm strongly ambivalent in these situations. On the one hand, when people don't speak in the way I think they should speak, I sometimes find it extremely grating. OTOH, having been judged stupid on numerous occasions based on my vocabulary or my accent (or, I know this is hard to believe, but there are people who will valuate people's intelligence based on their perceptions of their political opinions), I try (I mean I really try) to force myself not to judge the intelligence or worth of people because of their habits of speech.

k

#80480 09/16/02 01:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
innocents who might imitate him

The history of language is writ by innocents imitating.

a slippery slope

Note to attackers of the non-syllogistic use of the phrase begging the question:

Slippery Slope is also the name of a logical fallacy.

One can be a descriptivist without defending or condoning sloppy usage, as one can be a prescriptivist and practice sloppy usage. Pronunciation shift is a part of language; discounting the contributions of someone whose usages do not match one's own only limits the holder of these prejudices.

#80481 09/16/02 01:42 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Prescriptivism is a dirty word, but must we cheerfully join the idiots who can't tell
one tenth from nine tenths? (good old decimate).

#80482 09/16/02 01:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
By the original meaning of the word one tenth were killed outright and nine tenths were shipped of to other legions. None were left in situ. A legion that was decimated had no one left in it.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 399 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith